Fish behavior as a cue that something is wrong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QTOFFER

Aquarium Advice Addict
If you spend a little time watching your fish every day, you eventually recognize their typical normal behavior. If you're lucky, you may even begin to notice little quirks that are unique to a particular fish. This is one of the fun parts of owning an aquarium, but it can also be a great way to make sure that everything is going smoothly.

Here's an example that I experienced this morning:

I have a red jewel cichlid in a planted 10 gal tank with a HOB filter. He is very aggressive and usually challenges me whenever I enter the room by ramming the glass. At feeding time, he spashes and nips at my fingers.

Last Friday, I cleaned the tank and vac'd the gravel - stirring up alot of junk in the process. After the debris settled, I rinsed off the HOB filter cartridge as usual, and made sure the biowheel was turning. Since Wednesday, I've suspected that something is wrong because the jewel has not been challenging me or nipping my fingers at feeding time. He looks alright and is eating, but something is clearly wrong because his behavior is way off.

A quick check of the water parameters ruled out pH, ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate as a problem. Water temperature was fine. I checked the filter - running, but the biowheel is turning ever so slowly. AHA! I disassembled the impeller and found a clot of Java moss twisted around it. After cleaning and reassembly, the filter's output must have increased five-fold. I guess the water was not being well oxygenated due to the absence of strong current and surface agitation.

The moral of the story is observe your fish and get to know their typical behaviors - especially the quirky ones. Check your fish every day and make sure they are looking and BEHAVING normally. If a fish stops behaving in its typical fashion, assume something is wrong and investigate. A subtle change in your fish' behavior may alert you to a small problem before it becomes a big one!

It is true. My Kissing gouramis are generally peacefull with one another. But everytime i do a waterchange the start fighting each other by wraping each other around the other one. It only happen then. They must feel stuck or limited to their territory. Also sick fish tend to stop eating and are easely bullied by other fish.

Hyrules said:
It is true. My Kissing gouramis are generally peacefull with one another. But everytime i do a waterchange the start fighting each other by wraping each other around the other one. It only happen then. They must feel stuck or limited to their territory. Also sick fish tend to stop eating and are easely bullied by other fish.

It's like fish know that they can establish themselves against a weaker fish, even if it is bigger. If you see a much larger fish being bullied by a much smaller fish, it could be a sign of something being wrong with the bigger fish.

Indeed, observing behavior is paramount to keeping everyone healthy and happy. Since our fish buddies cannot communicate with us in any other way, behavior changes is their way of screaming: Hey, help me out here will ya?

One thing I watch for is "hanging out" in the right or left rear of the tank. For some reason, most fish feel that those spots are sanctuaries for peace and quiet. Seeing a fish there at any time should indicate that something is wrong and it doesn't necessarily mean illness. Tired, fed up, stressed or just needs a break from all the commotion.

theotheragentm said:
It's like fish know that they can establish themselves against a weaker fish, even if it is bigger. If you see a much larger fish being bullied by a much smaller fish, it could be a sign of something being wrong with the bigger fish.

Well said.

I also observe my fish as their behaviour can tell me when they are first holding. It's beneficial to know when they are first holding so as to anticipate the birth of the fry.

LandGhoti said:
Yes, great advice!
I hope your cichlid is back to his aggressive behavior now :D

When I got home this evening, I put my arm in the tank to replant a piece of anubias. The little psychopath came flying out of nowhere and gave me a good jab in the arm! :evil: Scared the bejeezus out of me! So yeah, I guess he's back to his normal self! :twisted:

Great post Andy. Observation was a prelude to how you handled a problem.

Instead of assuming the fish was sick you checked all of the environmental parameters. Very often a behavorial change is an indication that something has drastically changed in the fishes environment. Equipment such as filters and heaters do break down, and they should be inspected to assure they are working properly.

Hyrules said:

This is common mating behavior of anabantoids, which they frequently display when water levels are decreased, as in nature, this is their cue to breed

I've found that watching my Mystery Snails is a great barometer that "somethings not right" - generally its that the nitrates have gotten above 20ppm - doesn't seem very high (in a planted tank) but those guys just hate high nitrates. They get very lethargic and just say either half opened or fully close up shop when the nitrates get beyond their liking.

Back
Top Bottom