Fish Compability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sub-Zero

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,

After finally deciding to use life rock instead of base rock, I thought it time to add some fish to my Wish list. I am not 100% or the order to add them, but I am sure someone will show me that shortly.

Wish-list:

Clean-up Crew:
10-15 Turbo Snails
8-12 Hermit Crabs
Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

First Additions:
Orchid Dottyback
Purple Firefish
Flame HawkFish
Percula Clown
Royal Gramma

Weeks later:
Copperband Butterfly (Must Have!)

Month later:
Regal Tang/Hippo Tang
Lemonpeel Tang
Yellow Tang

Last Additions:
Flame Angle
Bi-colour Angle

The fish above are all what I would like to have, but I am sure having more than one tang is going to cause trouble as is having more than one angle. I know adding more than 2 fish at one time might be troublesome plus, time in between addition tank mates needs to be concidered.

The list is just a rough idea. What are your thoughts?
Matt.

How big is this tank? 150+ I hope?

First Additions:
Orchid Dottyback
Purple Firefish
Flame HawkFish
Percula Clown
Royal Gramma

I would add only the clown and the gramma from this list. The hawkfish will eat your inverts and the dottyback will fight with the gramma and the firefish. The firefish is best kept in a peaceful tank setting.

Weeks later:
Copperband Butterfly (Must Have!)

I would add the CBB about a year after the tank is set up. I waited for nearly 2.5 years before adding mine. The biggest issue is getting them to eat. If you find one that will eat you should be fine.

Month later:
Regal Tang/Hippo Tang
Lemonpeel Tang
Yellow Tang

Depending on how large your tank is you are probably only going to get away with the yellow tang. If you have a large tank 150+ then you could get away with 2 tangs, the yellow would be the last tang added.

Last Additions:
Flame Angle
Bi-colour Angle

Pick one. 2 is not a good idea.

Sorry Forgot to mention, its only a 130L/35 US Gallon.

Matt.

Oh...well you can eliminate all the tangs. They will not be happy in that small of a tank. I would suggest one of the angels, the clown (maybe a pair) and maybe the gramma. All the other fish you listed aren't going to be happy in such a small space.

Ah boo. At least my wish list was just a rough draft.

Back to the drawing board I guess. Cheers anyway buddy.

Matt.

Saltwaterfish.com and liveaquaria.com will give you information on each fish. Minimum tank requirements as well as compatibility. Have a look at those sites they will help you in your selection.

Wow, all that in a 35g XD I think you'd be fine with: Purple Firefish, Percula Clown, Royal Gramma, and Flame Angel in that order.

Back again :p

Here is my revised list of possible fish:

130L FOWLR.

Dracula Goby
Coral Beauty Anglefish
Firefish
Ocellaris Clownfish (maybe pair)
Yellow Watchman Goby
Blue Reef Chromis (possibly small group)
Catalina Goby (Different water temps??? - short life span???)
Royal Gramma
Green Mandarin (very difficult to keep)
*Midas Blenny
*Yellow Wrasse

*Similar looks - might be a problem? any ideas.

Matt.

You will need to trim that list down to around 4 of your favorites.

coral beauty - nice fish but can nip at corals if you want a reef down the road
catalina goby - they do better in cooler water and i believe their life span is supposed to be shorter if kept in higher water temps. i would probably avoid this one
Green mandarin - needs a much larger tank to sustain its need for a ton of live food that it picks off live rock. would not make it in your tank.

Looks like folks are doing great with the fish part. I would suggest less hermits, add some nassarius snails (great sand sifters), cerith and margaritas......

Thanks for the great and helpful replies guys, I think its fantastic.

Dracula Goby
Coral Beauty Anglefish
Firefish
Ocellaris Clownfish (maybe pair)
Yellow Watchman Goby
Blue Reef Chromis (possibly small group)
Royal Gramma
Midas Blenny

Skunk Tilefish *might need a larger tank
Red Srtipe Goby (Pair maybe - but hard to come by)

I know I can't keep putting every fish that catches my eye on here, but I would like a "busy" tank that is peaceful with out being to territorial and have a major bio-load.

Matt.

You could look into a goby pistol shrimp combo...

I'd do the goby shrimp combo as well: Stonogobiops sp., your Dracula goby and Alpheus shrimp. You could also add a pair of ocellaris or percula clownfish, the firefish, and if you want an angel look into the pygmy's. I remember posting pygmy angels available at some point so you can search for it on AA :)

To me, the pistol shrimp is by far the greatest sand stirrer that I have in my tank! Just be advised of 2 things:
1. Make sure your rock is firmly placed on the tank's bottom.
2. They are nearly blind and use the goby as a guide, by placing it's antenna on the goby's body for direction, but if anyone tries to mess with the goby or shrimp, wait till you hear that "POP!!!", and you probably won't see a lot of the shrimp....just gotta wait and sneak up on it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom