fish compatability question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hookman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I already have a green mandarin, I wanted to get a spotted one now. I was wondering if they would co-exist in a 55 gallon. I also have to move my tank soon, what should I do about all my live sand. I am not really worried about the LR and the water. If I put the sand in buckets and then put it back in my tank in my new place, will that cause an ammonia spike. I don't want to lose any of my fish, thanks for any advice.

they would co-exist peacefully, but would probably end up starving to death. Just leave the sand in the tank with just enough water to keep it wet.

hth

umm i have to disagree with rossv, because i have a 150gal reef and a male (large front dorsal fin) mandarine, thought my tank was big enough to add a spotted, so i added a bit smaller female (small front dorsal fin) spotted. at first they just postured at each other, then then it seemed they just left each other alone. however i woke up one morning to find my male dead, for apparently no reason (had him for a year with no signs of illness or problems swimming, however i suspect the female played her part in it). so to cheer myself up, i bought another male mandarine (only this one is smaller than my female spotted), thinking it would be okay. however the moment the female spotted the male she freaked out and attacked him like crazy. i thought she was going to kill him. he got away, however they beatings continued with every encounter they had. i was hoping she would eventually just accept him as a tank mate, but i gave up on that cause after a few days of watching this behavior i just couldn't take it anymore and i had to move her over to my 16gal seahorse tank. (the agressor always get the boot in my tanks). so im thinking let this little guy get settled down and grown up a little bit, before i try to add her back into my 150. but im not looking forward to moving her back. so i don't know man, i certainly didn't have the best of luck mixing these fishies
good luck,
mermaid

I had a male blue manderin until I put a female green spotted in. They didn't last very long until the male died. Know I have just the green and don't really like her very much anymore. In my opinion, I would advise against it, but there always is a chance.

Hookman said:
I already have a green mandarin, I wanted to get a spotted one now. I was wondering if they would co-exist in a 55 gallon. I also have to move my tank soon, what should I do about all my live sand. I am not really worried about the LR and the water. If I put the sand in buckets and then put it back in my tank in my new place, will that cause an ammonia spike. I don't want to lose any of my fish, thanks for any advice.

Just remember mandarins main source of food is PODS IF your system cant produce enough pods to keep them both fed they could starve. Some people have been successful at feeding dragnets foods like Brine shrimp and cyclopzz (sp) Live Worms, Live Brine and Microfauna

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom