Fish compatibility and stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meatloaf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have a community tank with all sorts of things but I was wondering can I put another male honey gourami with my other male honey gourami. I have heard they fight. Also if I got a betta would it fight with my gourami? Would getting a female betta change anything? It is a 29 gallon with 3 full grown balloon mollies, 6 baby balloon mollies (I plan on keeping three), 4 black phantoms that I am planning on trading out for neon tetras, 2 kuhli loaches, a Amano shrimp, and as I have said a honey gourami. Also, can I keep 3 More balloon Mollies, 4 more kuhli loaches, and how many neons could I get If I got rid of my black phantoms. Thanks for any advice you might have

Definitely get the extra kuhli loaches. 6 neons should be fine. 1-2 female honey gourami would be better than a male heney gourami or a betta of either gender.

I mean you can try it but if it doesn't work then you need a back up plan

Male honey gouramis will likely fight with each other. Not a good idea. Bettas will also fight with gouramis, and mixing male and female bettas for long periods of time is not recommended (unless it's for breeding purposes), as they can end up fighting and harassing each other to the point of injury or death. A lot depends on their individual personalities, but in general doing something like this requires an experienced keeper and a much bigger tank than yours, with lots of hiding spaces - and ideally a separate emergency tank for when things go wrong. The chances of this working are slim and it's not usually recommended. (plus, the bettas will probably eventually breed, so what are you going to do with all the babies?). And mixing them with gouramis is definitely a bad idea. Amano shrimp and kuhli loaches are social and should be kept in groups of at least 5 or 6, same goes for neon tetras (and mollies, actually). Tbh it sounds as if your tank is already bordering on being overstocked, so just be careful not to push it over the edge. Fewer fish is always better than too many.

Check this site for stocking guidelines: AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom