Fish compatibility: Tell me what you think

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laser

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know there's a lot of these threads and I think they should have their own section, but I'd rather have this idea blown out of the water now. hahaha... ok sorry.

2 Bolivian Rams
20 Harlequin Rasboras
1 Swordtail
1 Dwarf Gourami

I've never had Bolivian Rams, but I want to make them as comfortable as possible, so the setup is going to be a 37g with plenty of hiding places. I have some cichlid stones that will be coming in the mail today. The rasboras are going to be there because I like them and because I thought they would make the rams feel safe. I'm not sure about the gourami and the swordtail, that's why I'm asking.

Attachments

• DSCI0070.jpg
    DSCI0070.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 100
I have a gold gourami, pearl gourami and 3 swordtails and never had an issue. Swordtails are very active whilst gouramis aren't.

I have 4 Rams with a Shoal of Tiger Barbs and school of Tetras. No Issues, can't speak to gouramis.

Laser said:
I know there's a lot of these threads and I think they should have their own section, but I'd rather have this idea blown out of the water now. hahaha... ok sorry.

2 Bolivian Rams
20 Harlequin Rasboras
1 Swordtail
1 Dwarf Gourami

I've never had Bolivian Rams, but I want to make them as comfortable as possible, so the setup is going to be a 37g with plenty of hiding places. I have some cichlid stones that will be coming in the mail today. The rasboras are going to be there because I like them and because I thought they would make the rams feel safe. I'm not sure about the gourami and the swordtail, that's why I'm asking.

Fish tank looks good but the mirror in the back will confuse the poo out of your fish.... I usually use black if I can it looks good and cuts algae I have a 55g fresh water Florida native tank just can't find a cheep black backing that I wanna buy... And I just bought a 45g bow front salt tank, new to the salt game but I'm learning fast... It's not the way I want it but it will come together hopefully soon. Any tips???

Attachments

• image-1445021220.jpg
    image-1445021220.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 96
  • image-3280833911.jpg
    image-3280833911.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 78
  • image-1848730011.jpg
    image-1848730011.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 92
  • image-2828109474.jpg
    image-2828109474.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 87
Fish tank looks good but the mirror in the back will confuse the poo out of your fish.... I usually use black if I can it looks good and cuts algae I have a 55g fresh water Florida native tank just can't find a cheep black backing that I wanna buy... And I just bought a 45g bow front salt tank, new to the salt game but I'm learning fast... It's not the way I want it but it will come together hopefully soon. Any tips???

There's no mirror on the back, it's just a background. Looking at the picture again I can see how it could look like a mirror. I have not tried my hand at a saltwater tank yet, so good luck!

2 Bolivian Rams
20 Harlequin Rasboras
1 Swordtail
1 Dwarf Gourami

I think your choice of fish looks fine. I love my B ram. What type of dwarf gourami are you thinking about? I have a powder blue that is very docile, but my flame dg will attack some fish, especially other gouramis. I think it may just depend on the personality of the fish. I would definately add the gourami to your tank last.

In theory, that stock should be fine. Some dg can be pretty bossy so keep an eye on it, but it should be fine IMO. I think the harlies and rams are a very pretty combo. :)

The gourami isn't a deal breaker, I don't have to have him. I was entertaining the idea of doing 3 or 4 bolivians instead of the swordtail and the gourami, but I think that might cause more trouble in the end. I was wondering if it would be possible to start with more rams and move 2 to a different tank if problems start.

Yes, I think that would be fine. I kept 4 Bolivians in a similarly sized tanks without any issues. It helps to have some furniture on the bottom like caves and plants.

Yeah, I have 5 cichlid stones in there now so that should help.

Back
Top Bottom