Fish "disappearing".

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NODAK1979

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is there any explanation why one of my angelfish is missing?? Here's why I post this..

I'm somewhat OCD about doing checks daily. I count the fish, look at them and make sure nothing is wrong. Last night, I did the count and one angelfish is missing. My tank isn't so heavily decorated that it is all that difficult to look around all the potential hiding places. Plus, these angels are not that young, either. They're about 3 inches or so and are always rather easy to spot.

I only raise the lid to feed. So jumping out doesn't seem to make sense to me. Is there ANY explanation here??

As Sherlock Holmes would say, once you eliminate the impossible, the remaining options, no matter how improbable, must be true. If it was eaten it seems you would find remains, so the only logical options are it somehow got sucked into a filter (where you should find remains) or it jumped. Years ago I had a fish disappear and didn't find it until over a year later when I had to move the tank. Despite a lid, it had jumped out and fallen behind the stand and been wedged between the stand and the wall and effectively invisible. If you don't see it in a day or two a thorough search of the area around and behind the tank may turn it up.

Unless it was abducted by aliens, but I've never heard of them taking angels, they seem to only take plecos and the occasional cory.

My cat got one of mine a while back... So other pets could also be a factor if you have any.

I have to wonder if it was eaten and I just haven't found the skeleton.

I looked at one of my Boesemani rainbows and her colors are much brighter than usual today. I've heard their colors come out more when fed live or fresh food.

Also, the remaining angels are acting a bit different. They are going on a side of the tank they typically don't.

So I guess...since I don't believe it jumped out because the led is never open without me being right there....how long does it take for a fish like that to be completely eaten by other fish?? The reason I'm skeptical is because it isn't as if they eat all that much at feeding time...so to eviscerate a whole medium sized angel that quickly?

My cat got one of mine a while back... So other pets could also be a factor if you have any.

We have two cats, but they can't get into the aquarium. With the hood on there, if they were to somehow get in, there'd have to be signs....like the hood off of the aquarium.

If you saw it yesterday I am doubtful it could have been eaten completely so fast. Apart from anything else I would think you should find some skeletal parts. Are there cutouts in the lid for filters and such? It doesn't take much space for an unlucky leap to let one out. The pet theory is good too, cats can lift a lid if they can get to it.

If you saw it yesterday I am doubtful it could have been eaten completely so fast. Apart from anything else I would think you should find some skeletal parts. Are there cutouts in the lid for filters and such? It doesn't take much space for an unlucky leap to let one out. The pet theory is good too, cats can lift a lid if they can get to it.

There are indeed cutouts in the lid. I suppose I better take a flashlight to the back and see if I can see anything back there.

I've had two fish jump so far. I now have bungee cord over the tops and plugged gaps with plastic. I used silicone to glue them.

Years ago my grandfather kept losing angelfish. He blamed my grandmother, only to catch one of their pet monkeys with half an angel in his hand a week later. Watch any monkeys you may have in the house. (y)

Seriously now, it's very possible for a small fish to disappear in a short period of time, especially if you have snails and gravel. I've watched my MTS strip a dead 3" guppy, leaving just a skeleton, in less than eight hours. If the skeleton had been in gravel rather than white sand, I wouldn't have found it.

There's always the jumper theory, but angels would need a decent gap to get out with their long fins.

Years ago my grandfather kept losing angelfish. He blamed my grandmother, only to catch one of their pet monkeys with half an angel in his hand a week later. Watch any monkeys you may have in the house. (y)

Seriously now, it's very possible for a small fish to disappear in a short period of time, especially if you have snails and gravel. I've watched my MTS strip a dead 3" guppy, leaving just a skeleton, in less than eight hours. If the skeleton had been in gravel rather than white sand, I wouldn't have found it.

There's always the jumper theory, but angels would need a decent gap to get out with their long fins.

I'm coming to grips with that theory....the "stripped" theory that is. What's a MTS by the way?? Sorry...gotta get the acronyms here...

BigJim said:

About the monkeys... LOL! ROFL!

Back
Top Bottom