Fish dont need big tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LayzorBeams

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I will say right now: its an essay. These are things I've looked into. Im not just a kid trying to make excuses for myself. These are logical reasons.

Some people may think that i have a tendency to blow people off in terms of tank size suggestions. They would be right. These are my thoughts on the matter.

Fish don't need big tanks, as people often say they do. The results really fall down on your management of the tank and your feeling on what is right.

Right away i will say that tank-mates creat issues. Territory and aggression can change this. This applies mostly to larger fish, which is where arguments commonly occur.

Lets start out with the fish themselves. Fish are, well, fish. They don't feel physical pain, so being inhumane is only a concern in extreme circumstances. However, more important is that fish don't feel things like we do. They are animals driven by a basic need to survive. As long as this requirement is met, they are going to do fine.

Some might say that its bad if a fish dies early. And again, this is a matter of opinion. Fish do not get distressed due to a shortened predicted lifespan. They have no way of knowing whether they are in an environment suitable for habitation, and not enough "brainpower" to process thoughts anywhere close to as complex. Most fish are lucky if they can develop a complex hunting technique, and very few, if any, can do more than that. Also, these thoughts are based on instinct, not cognitive function. When the Great White Shark rams its prey from underneath, it doesn't actively think about it. It just does it. What I'm trying to say is that when you try to argue that a fish will die early you are just stating your opinion on life and death. It is borderline "screwed up" In some peoples opinions, I'm sure, but its true.

Next lets move on to maintenance and management of the tank. Fish need things to survive. Oxygen dissolved in the water, food, and low levels of the various things that can kill them. Oxygen is supplied through water movement, which is achieved in small tanks just fine as long as you put in the effort. Food is food. Just find a brand and buy it. But keeping the bio load stable is where you will encounter a real issue. In smaller tanks, Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates build up quicker. The first two are destroyed by your biological filter, and thus are removed. This implies you will know how to cycle your tank and properly build up the bacteria, and that goes for any tank size. However the Nitrates remain. But, fish-keepers, how do we remove them? Water changes! And a metric crap ton of them. This is how you do it on an "appropriate" size tank, and all you have to do for a smaller one is more. As long as you keep your game up and do careful work, the various things that can harm fish shouldn't become a problem.

Now i have to say: there is a minimum in my opinion. The minimum may be smaller than yours, but i will list why and the reasons behind it. I think any smaller than this and it starts to decline into one of the extreme situations that could be cruel.

First, you cant stunt the fish. Make sure the tank is well kept. As for the dimensions, i can set a real "one tank meets all" size for the overall group of fish. However, i think that first you need to find the AVG maximum size for the fish. From there, look for a tank that is that wide, to ensure it can turn around. To calculate for a fish larger than average, you may want to add on a few inches. As for the length, i say this: make sure the fish can swim. This means to me at the very least it should be three times the length, but this is really your call. Depth depends on species. Bottom feeders dont need much, some need more. Again, opinions.

Now i cant define the various ways that you might find my methods cruel, but i can say why i think they work. The fish is kept in a clean, healthy environment. Is has room to move back and forth without hitting the boundaries of the tank. It is fed a healthy diet. Overall it is well maintained and needs are cared for.

The only reason why someone couldn't follow this is their own conscience. You might think an Oscar in a 12x36 is horrible. To me its ok. A 16" Jaguar in a 75? Sure.

However i cannot say that i think this is good for all. An Oscar in a 40 is going to need 2 water changes a week, at least. And a lot of filtration. Work.

But this is what i think. Feel free to disagree. But at least stop saying its what fish do or don't need. Its you, not the fish, that really determine the size of tank you need. As long as you follow the REAL minimums of really clean water and good food, you should be able to pull this off.

I didn't read most of this.. let me just say.. fish need bigger tanks than 90% of us provide. A single neon tetra has access to 10 thousand gallons of water in its natural habitat. We are selfishly taking these fish into our homes for our own personal amusement. Why make it cruel?? I just picked up some rare apistos, they're rather small, I'd like for them to have a decent run so I bought them a 30l all to their own. A 100 breeder would have been better but I did what I could. Fish could always have a bigger tank.. a fish will.most never react negatively to a larger than needed tank. A fish will most always react negatively to a smaller than needed tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fish not feeling pain is heavily disputed. Read some research articles.

Actually, reading your thread it's clear you don't really know any actual facts about this. Again, read some research articles.

Fish not feeling pain is heavily disputed. Read some research articles.

Actually, reading your thread it's clear you don't really know any actual facts about this. Again, read some research articles.

I have as a matter of fact. Please point ous what i missed? I know that some go as far to say that fish are able to think on a level close to humans. The intelligence is there but is is used from instinct.

However it is much harder to prove that fish can feel pain, or think, than it is to provide evidence that they cannot. So as it stands, the ruling is, by majority, that it connot.

Again, give me some solod examples of what i missed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom