Fish filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The aqua clear 110 is rated up to 110 gallons. I'm not sure how well it works as I've never tried it.

For 100 gallon, I'd personally use a canister filter.
Any reason why you want a hang on back?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, the auquaclear 110 would work, but I'd advise getting another filter as well. I use aquaclear's in all 3 of my decent sized tanks, but I like to over filter to ensure crystal clear water (over filter like 2 AC70's on my 55 gal, lol).
A good canister filter probably works better tho, although they are more expensive!

+1 on the Aquaclears. They're a bit pricier than the other HOBs, but offer more versatility in what filter media you can use. They're also pretty much indestructible. I have the 30 and the 50, and the 30 has been working flawlessly for at least 3 years.

There are good HOBs? :p I think I've just had bad luck with them. The only hobs I buy now are tetras for my 10 gallons. For any tank bigger than that, I always have the impeller crap out on me after a few months.

Ditto on the canister filter for that size tank anyway. The only canister filters I have are diy and I already had everything I needed to make them, so they were free. 5-10 gallon buckets, water pumps rated a couple hundred gallons more than 10x the tank volume, silicone, vinyl tubing, and various media. You can probably find some good how-to's on youtube. I know some people here may be against diy canisters, but mine work really well and my oldest one (4 years) I keep on my axolotl tank. I know I shouldn't have favorites...but the axies are kind of my shining stars, so if there were anything wrong with the diy filter then I'd burn it just for being near them and probably go through a short period of self-hatred for building the stupid thing :p But they work pretty well and really saved me a load of money.

I have no experence with canisters, but anything over a 75 will be hard to find. I would use two filters for 60 gallon tanks.

I'm not a fan of AquaClear. I kept finding mine hung up. I only had it three months though. Both a 15 gallon model and a 60 gallon model were doing it to me.

Depends where you are I guess. They have 110's at pretty much every pet store around here. Even petsmart carries them.
As far as problem's my oldest has been going just shy of two years without issue (knock on wood!).

I have an aquaclear 70 on 27g tank, and it works brilliantly. You could do two aquaclears 110, on a 100g tank, but I think you could find a no name brand canister for cheaper. Even something like a SunSun canister. They are very cheap. Up to you really.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think for HOB at that tank size you're pretty much going to need two filters. While there are filters rated to do it, you want a second, smaller filter regardless. If you look for them, find a used canister for cheap if you don't want to go diy route. Even if it needs some parts it's cheaper than a new filter.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just be careful not to overfilter and wind up blowing your fish around. That may not be an issue in a larger tank though.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

I personally forgo the chemical filtration altogether. The biofilter usually handles ths chemical needs of most tanks.

My AquaClear has the carbon sealed in and I can't get it out without trashing the filter cartridge. That also led me back to my Tetra with the BioBags. ...that and the way mine kept stopping.

I personally forgo the chemical filtration altogether. The biofilter usually handles ths chemical needs of most tanks.

My AquaClear has the carbon sealed in and I can't get it out without trashing the filter cartridge. That also led me back to my Tetra with the BioBags. ...that and the way mine kept stopping.

+1 For no chem filtration (unless it was something like meds)
Which model of AquaClear has cartridges? I thought the all had separate foam, carbon, and ceramic media.

My 30-60 does not have separate carbon or ceramic media.

My 30-60 does not have separate carbon or ceramic media.

Not familiar with that model. We are talking about the AquaClear HOB series by Fluval (formerly Hagen)? The only models I am aware of are the 20, 30, 50, 70, and 110.

Back
Top Bottom