fish for a 30 gallon???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barterking85

Aquarium Advice Addict
i have a 30 gallon cycling now i want to do a community tank of small fish i want as many fish as i can fit in it humanely of course it has a huge filter for a 100 gallon what can i put in? Colors are very nice let me know ?

A school of 6 orange laser cories, a school of 6 cardinal tetras, a school of 6 black skirt tetras, a starlight bristlenose pleco, a kribensis, and maybe a pair of rams. Just IMO... :)

Homedog98 said:
A school of 6 orange laser cories, a school of 6 cardinal tetras, a school of 6 black skirt tetras, a starlight bristlenose pleco, a kribensis, and maybe a pair of rams. Just IMO... :)

I like but would do neons instead of cardinals easier to take care of

I'd do a pair of bolivian rams, 10 neon tetras, 3 assorted platy (2f:1m), 6 panda, juli, or albino cory cats, and 8 rummy nosed or emperor tetras.

o ok i will always sacrifice size for quantity i want as many fish as possible so i dont want anything that big i hate when i have to find a fish a new home i want to keep them till the end so adult size in mind people thanks

I don't think so that mollies can reach the size of 5 inches!!!

I couldn't believe it at first either. It was discussed briefly in another thread Homedog and I replied to.

It isn't just the waste produced though, it is also the size.

Here is what I eventually want to do:

8 neon tetras (maybe 4 regular, 4 golden/albino)
8 rummy nosed tetras
2 bolivian rams (male/female or female/female)
6 pygmy cory cats

These fish are all so small and active (minus the rams, which are the centerpiece). The rams will probably make the tetras school, which would look amazing. And who can't resist corys? I would go with black sand, I think it would look amazing.

Tropical said:
Here is what I eventually want to do:

8 neon tetras (maybe 4 regular, 4 golden/albino)
8 rummy nosed tetras
2 bolivian rams (male/female or female/female)
6 pygmy cory cats

These fish are all so small and active (minus the rams, which are the centerpiece). The rams will probably make the tetras school, which would look amazing. And who can't resist corys? I would go with black sand, I think it would look amazing.

That's a very good stocking list! And it also leaves just a bit of room for later if you ever wanted to add to your schools.

OK so what i went with i took all ideas into consideration and was altered to what our lfs could get my list is:

2 blue rams
2 Congo tetras
6 High Speed (Serpae) tetras
6 Cardinals
3 Platties

Should i add to any of the schools or are they good numbers do i have room for more????

OK so what i went with i took all ideas into consideration and was altered to what our lfs could get my list is:

2 blue rams
2 Congo tetras
6 High Speed (Serpae) tetras
6 Cardinals
3 Platties

Should i add to any of the schools or are they good numbers do i have room for more????

I've heard mixing the serpae with the rams isn't a great idea.

Mollies can, yeah. Not platties, but mollies are bigger (and have up to 4x the bioload from what I've heard).

Edit: Sorry, forgot to go to second page. This was in response to the comment that mollies don't get to 5".

I've heard that serpeas can be agressive when feeding, which wouldn't be best for the more timid ram.

I would eliminate the serpeas and increase the numbers of congo and cardinal tetra to 8. I'd also add a bottom feeder, some shrimp or maybe some pygmy cories. That's just my opinion, it's all up to you :)

well for my final list it is
6 cardinal
6 serpea
3 platies
2 rams
i will watch the rams to make sure they are comfortable with the serpea

Back
Top Bottom