fish for a 5 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach_1_6

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I would really like to have a nerite snail or golden apple snail, with some RCS, ghost shrimp or any other shrimp that may catch my eye, so what fish would do well and not eat the shrimp, i would really like a betta but it is a hit and miss with them on eating the shrimp, suggestions?

(the tank will be heavily planted aswell)

Well besides a Betta there are chili rasboras that I think would work. Endlers would be ok too... But those are some. I also believe that there are killifish that'd work as well: least killifish and Pygmy killifish.

if i let the shrimp grow to be larger and then add a betta will is harrass them until they die? and i could see a small school of chili rasboras or other small fish, not to interested in the guppies though (sorry guppy lovers)

zach_1_6 said:
if i let the shrimp grow to be larger and then add a betta will is harrass them until they die? and i could see a small school of chili rasboras or other small fish, not to interested in the guppies though (sorry guppy lovers)

If you let the shrimp grow there is a higher likability that the shrimp won't die from the betta. I have 2 bettas and both don't hurt my ghost shrimp. They'll eventually get amano shrimp and RCS as well because they do good. If you're going with shrimp I'd do a test with the betta using ghosties:)

Cool plans for your tank! The betta should be fine with the shrimp but it may eat the baby shrimp. Probably not going to dent the shrimp population though!

allright thanks, i think i will try for some RCS, ghost shrimp. And i saw some fancy blue shrimp at the store, those wil have to wait in case the betta likes to snack. also if i keep the betta well fed will this reduce chances of him eating them?

Not necessarily, because bettas will be hungry more than you feed them. You feed them once a day to keep them healthy but they'd love to eat more.

Back
Top Bottom