Fish for cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ForFish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I'm a total beginner about aquariums and fish. I have done my research, but I have a question on what fish to use for cycling? I'm thinking about getting 3 glofish danios for a 20 gallon tank since I would like to keep them in the tank after the cycling is complete. But I also want guppies which are hardy enough for cycling maybe? So the question is which is better for cycling glofish or guppies? Or if you recommend any other fish what would it be?

Thanks in advance!

Fish For Tank Cycling

Hello, I'm a total beginner about aquariums and fish. I have done my research, but I have a question on what fish to use for cycling? I'm thinking about getting 3 glofish danios for a 20 gallon tank since I would like to keep them in the tank after the cycling is complete. But I also want guppies which are hardy enough for cycling maybe? So the question is which is better for cycling glofish or guppies? Or if you recommend any other fish what would it be?

Thanks in advance!

Hello For...

I would go with the Guppy. Females are best. They're hardier than just about any other fish with the possible exception of Platys. If you go with Guppies, just get females. They'll handle the cycling process as long as you keep track of the water. At the end of the cycle, you generally have fry.

Don't forget to add some Hornwort to the tank before you start. This floating plant will help keep the water chemistry a bit more stable.

B

I just recently did a cycle with neon tetras and an angelfish, and most of them got out alive. I would go with whatever you want, and change some of the water every day.

Thanks both of you, I think I'm just going to cycle with 3 platys, and hopefully the 3 of them will make it.

Cycling a Tank w/ Fish

Thanks both of you, I think I'm just going to cycle with 3 platys, and hopefully the 3 of them will make it.

Hello for...

3 fish isn't much to cycle roughly 20 gallons of water. I cycled my 30 gallon with 8 adult female Guppies. Roughly the size of a Platy. If the Platys are adult size, roughly 2 inches, then I'd add a couple more. Your tank needs a steady source of ammonia to cycle and add a floating plant like Hornwort to steady the water chemistry a little.

Monitor the tank water closely every day for traces of ammonia and nitrite. If you have that, then a partial water change, 25 percent or so will return the water to a safe level for the fish. When several daily water tests show no traces of ammonia or nitrite., the tank is cycled. Keep the feeding to a little every few days to maintain the ammonia source, your fish should be fine. All my Guppies survived and I even had a few fry at the end.

B

Back
Top Bottom