Fish Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sammbaxter

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have a 55 gal with three zebras, one yellow lab, one german red, a pleco, and a sulphur head, and I went to do a weekly cleaning and discovered this guy! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408244334.613219.jpg
I'm assuming since it's yellow it must be from my red zebras or my yellow lab...I don't know how to sex my fish so I have no idea who they came from, and I also have no idea how to raise the fry. I don't have another tank to raise them so I have to keep them in my 55, and I have only counted three fry that have survived this far. It was four but I watched one get devoured by my german red ? so I bought a fake plant that's kind of like a ground cover for the fry to hide in to see if they survive through this. If they don't it's not much of a loss, and if they do, I probably won't keep them. I haven't really decided. Anyway I was wondering what they might eat or if they need any special care or if I should just let them go and see if they grow? Any advice would be awesome, thanks! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408244687.096399.jpg

Yellow labs and zebras will hybridize so it could be from either or both.

If raising it is important to you I would move it to it's own tank and then feed it some small sinking food.

That being said, once mbuna start spawning they will continue on seemingly endlessly so I would at least consider leaving it alone.

Almost certainly a zebra fry, cichlids won't crossbreed unless there aren't any opposite sex members of the same species. Usually 1 or a few fry will survive on their own, no need to feed anything different IME.

Thanks for the help! I'll just let them go and see if they live. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom