Fish ID help...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have had some of these fish for about 8 months now, when I bought them they were labeled as emperor tetras. I looked up some pictures of emperor tetras and they dont look like that, then I thought that they might be Kerri tetras but they are once again different.
These little guys are about the size of a neon tetra, they reflect purple (once in a while)
They have a black stripe from there head to the end of there body (a little on the tail)
They are quite fast so I will have to see about a picture

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110714_093448.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110714_093448.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 118
  • ForumRunner_20110714_093626.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110714_093626.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 121
bruinsbro1997 said:
They look like either kerri or emperor tetras, if not I'm not sure what they are.

I think they are Kerri tetras, my bad! I looked up some pictures of Kerri tetras (again) and I think that is what they are. Thanks!

No prob, they are definitely kerris, if they were labeled as emperors at the store its because sometimes they're also labeled as blue or purple emperors!

One thing that I have noticed (maybe you can explain why) when the lights one the tank go off the black stripes of these fish disappear (not just fade they disappear completely). Then when I turn the lights back on the stripe comes back (slowly)
This has always baffled me!?

Perhaps its just shock from the light turning off so suddenly. My cardinals don't lose their glow for two hours when I turn the lights off in my tank, they are still glowing. Maybe it's just that your fish are sensitive to lights and it shows they are terrified.

I don't think they are kerris, unless they are juvies, which is possible.

fort384 said:
I don't think they are kerris, unless they are juvies, which is possible.

There size has not really changed since I got them (about 8 months ago) so I think they are adults. Or for some reason they got stunned, they are in a 40 gallon, there used to be 8 of them but now there are 3. Any other thoughts?

The kerris I have seen are much bluer, but after looking around a bit, you might be right on. The size seems a little small too though - you said they are the size of neons? Adult kerris should be bigger than an adult neon.

@ fishfanatic
My neon tetras lose their colors when the lights are off too. It's just because they cant reflect off of the lights when they are off. Also maybe the colors disappear as a way of camouflage. So they don't get caught by predators while they rest. I think it's just instinct. That's what I think.

fort384 said:
The kerris I have seen are much bluer, but after looking around a bit, you might be right on. The size seems a little small too though - you said they are the size of neons? Adult kerris should be bigger than an adult neon.

When the light reflects off of them they are a very nice blue/purple color.
And yes I know my tank needs an algae cleaning...
Also they are the size of a large neon tetra about an inch long maybe a little longer.

ok, they are probably kerris then. My bad :) You guys are doing fine... carry on! :) :)

Back
Top Bottom