Fish ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Im almost positive that its a type of sunfish. It looks alot like bluegill I would catch in ponds as a kid. There are only a million kinds though...

Almost sure its not a cichlid.

Chest isnt right for a bluegill, imo. Even the juvies have a nice orange to red coloration. Also the ear isnt as tessellated as bluegill usually are

here's a good pic from nanfa
young+Bluegill1+by+BZ.jpg

Chest isnt right for a bluegill, imo. Even the juvies have a nice orange to red coloration. Also the ear isnt as tessellated as bluegill usually are

There's a lot of variants from region to region so it's really hard for me to say, at least that's what I've seen when collecting. Juvenile sunfish can be a huge pain to ID =[

Ours are works of art in the northwest it seems. That pic you posted looks awfully similar...
I identified/counted fish for the USFWS on the Columbia River, so I have seen a ton of juvy bluegills in the NW. I agree that ours have have a more red belly and deeper color, but I certainly know that they vary in different regions. The ones we used to catch in the Mississippi were much duller than the NW ones.
I think the picture jeta put up looks very much like the pictures from the OP too... The body and fins look right, but its a bit hard to tell from the OP's pictures. Still, I definfitely say sunfish of some sort.

jetajockey said:
here's a good pic from nanfa

This is actually exactly what the fish looks like. It even has that blueish shine to it. It's body however looks a little wider. What type of fish was that jetajockey?

The injured one isn't gonna make it. He'll swimming a little then just lay on his side. But the one that jumped out seems to be doing great.

Ha I think that's gonna be his name. Wat is a bluegills comparability like? Could it get along with some comet goldfish?

I'll keep it in my pond until it gets too big. I hav two lakes within 10min of my house so if he starts getting to big or starts getting aggressive I'll put him I'm there.

Just a side note I wanted to mention, never return a fish, native or not, back to the wild after it is kept in aquaria, it could introduce all kinds of nasty things to the native population. Either rehome a fish once it is unable to be kept anymore, or euthanize it.

A private pond or private lake would be okay if it was totally disconnected from a waterway.

Back
Top Bottom