Fish-in Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

almond27

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a new 10 gallon Aqueon tank and will be doing a fish-in cycle.

Once the tank is completely cycled I hope to have the following:

1 honey gourami
5 platys (daughter loves the mickey mouse and dalmation ones)
1 mystery snail

Which fish would be the best to do the cycle with the honey gourami or 1 of the platys?

Thanks for the help. :)

I cycled my 10 gallon with two platys. I started on 8/16 and it finished up (finished up to as much of a bioload as two platys have) about three weeks ago. If you want to cycle with two platys you could, I did and it turned out just fine. One of my platys was pregnant and had her fry during the cycle and 5 of the fry survived and growing by the day :) Just be sure and stay on top of testing and do water changes when needed and you will be fine :)

Mrs.h2012 said:
I cycled my 10 gallon with two platys. I started on 8/16 and it finished up (finished up to as much of a bioload as two platys have) about three weeks ago. If you want to cycle with two platys you could, I did and it turned out just fine. One of my platys was pregnant and had her fry during the cycle and 5 of the fry survived and growing by the day :) Just be sure and stay on top of testing and do water changes when needed and you will be fine :)

How did your fish survive

Bobjoefredsky said:
How did your fish survive

I stayed on top of testing and water changes. Fish can tolerate ammonia and nitrite levels of .25 (some say .5 too) and below, and 20 (some say 40) nitrates, but anything above that a water change needs to happen. All it takes to safely do a fish in cycle is dedication and staying on top of testing and water changes. If you don't have a lot I time on your hands your honestly better off to go the fishless cycle route, there were days I did multiple water changes in a day to keep levels in check.

I stayed on top of testing and water changes. Fish can tolerate ammonia and nitrite levels of .25 (some say .5 too) and below, and 20 (some say 40) nitrates, but anything above that a water change needs to happen. All it takes to safely do a fish in cycle is dedication and staying on top of testing and water changes. If you don't have a lot I time on your hands your honestly better off to go the fishless cycle route, there were days I did multiple water changes in a day to keep levels in check.

I totally agree...I have been officially cycled on my 55g for 1 week now and I did fish in and yes you definitely have to be dedicated and patient...I enjoyed it..it took 6 weeks and 5 days .....it kind of went fast since I had other tanks on my mind...lol

Um, sorry but you're overstocked for a 10. 5 platys in a 10 alone would be pushing it; a gourami puts it way over. Since the tank is new and not cycled you're goijng to have ammonia spikes and will need to do many water changes to keep the fish safe. I'd suggest returning them all except for 1 platy until the tank cycles but it's up to you; just be ready to put in a lot of work. Here's a couple of links for you:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

The list was what I was thinking my finished tank would look like.

Today I bought the first fish a MM Platy. Will test the water when my kit comes in the mail tomorrow.

No problem. With that size tank would I be way overstocked? The filter is the Aqueon Quietflow 10. I like the size of the Gourami because he will be easier to see for a 3 yr old.

Honeys are too large for a 10 gal. You could do a sparkling or dwarf gourami. Platys are messy though and will increase your bioload. You'll want to get a larger filter as well. For some variety, you could nix some of the platys. So you could do something like:

1-2 platy
1 sparkling or dwarf gourami
3 guppies OR 6-8 nano fish like ember tetra, chili rasbora or celestial pearl danio OR some endler's livebearers OR a group of least killfish.

Some of the fish mentioned aren't easily found in pet stores though (ember tetra and guppies are probably the most common). You might want to visit some pet shops near you and see what fish they have, write down what you like and then ask here if they are appropriate for your tank.

Keep in mind too that livebearers (like guppies and platys) will often breed if you get a mix of males and females so that will overstock your tank very quickly.

Yeah I read that about the Platys. I was going to get all female, but since they are housed in the same tank as the males I'm going to go all males. Don't need to deal with surprised babies. :)

Just be wary of the male platys. I just had to take my 2 back to the lfs because they were terrorizing the other fish and eating all the food. :-( Little bullies!

Ok I got my kit and tested the water:

ammonia: 0 ppm
nitrite: 0 ppm
nitrate: 10 ppm

This is with 1 MM platy that was put into the tank yesterday morning. I also added 1/2 botttle of the Tetra Safestart.

Do I need to do anything at this point or see what the water tests at tomorrow morning?

Just tested ph. ph: 7.6 high ph: 7.4

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom