Fish juggling act

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sum22

Aquarium Advice Freak
So here is the story of my fish tank over the last week.

I added glass catfish to my tank on 9-7 after being in QT for 2 weeks.

Prior to that, I had added harlequin rasboras on 8-23.

On 9-12 it appeared that the rasboras had columnaris, so I moved them to the QT tank and treated with maracyn and fungus clear. As of today, 1 fish died, but the others look and act fine. Yesterday was the last dose of maracyn and I added the fungus clear on the 15th, just in case.

Today, I noticed a couple of my glass catfish have something white and kind stringy on them as well. I'm fairly certain that they also have columnaris now. They are currently residing in the 29 tank.

So, should I
1. leave the glass catfish in the tank and treat the entire 29 gallons - waste of meds imo.

or

2. move the glass cats to the qt tank and move the rasboras back to the main tank?

or

3. move the betta to the 29 g and put the glass cats in the 10g tank and treat the 10g tank, leaving the rasboras in the qt tank for a few more days just to make sure they are good to go.

P.S. I'm posting this here instead of in the unhealthy fish forum because very few people read that dang thing. Plus, I'm more worried that I'm totally going to kill off the beneficial bacteria I worked so hard to accumulate by treating all my tanks for some disease.......

btw, I'm also wondering if all the aquarium salt I used before prevented a lot of the issues I'm seeing in my tanks now? I'll try not to jump to conclusions until after this columnaris bout is finished.

Well after the overwhelming responses I've received... LOL

I decided to treat the 29g tank. I figure it will kill anything that is already in the tank and perhaps prevent future outbreaks. Plus I didn't really feel like moving around fish. I don't really want to put my betta in the tank and risk her exposure to the disease as well.

Sorry just got online not long ago. I would treat the entire tank as you have decided. Columnaris is very contagious. I agree with keeping the betta out of the line of infection.

Back
Top Bottom