Fish laying upside and missing an eye + more fish problems PLEASE HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a aquaclear 70 and 36 gallon tank. The 3 parts are 1 sponge, amonia remover rocks, and black carbon bag. There is a optional biomax bag. Each one cost about 4 dollars each and he biomax and amonia comes only in pack of one while the others come in 3s. So the 1 packs one aren't a good deal.

One filter that is quiet, doesn't overflow, and really effective and good for a my tank would be great. I looked at the fluvel c series, but there just like aquaclear but more expensive looking, have 3 filter parts, and where I live, stores don't sell them.

The carbon really isnt necessary-you could just stick another sponge/foam insert in there or remove the carbon from the bag & just use the filter bag until it falls apart. If you keep your tank stable, the amm rocks arent really necessary either. The foam inserts for aquaclears seem to last forever (i use them as filter pads) & thats all you really need. I have aqueons & marinelands & personally like both though the marinelands are bit noiser (to me anyway). Its really up to you!

The lid on top my tank can only let smaller filters to fit on. And do u have a recommendation for what filter I should get? and why should I not add the amononia and carbon filter? I also really don't want to spend to much money.

justintime20 said:
The lid on top my tank can only let smaller filters to fit on. And do u have a recommendation for what filter I should get? and why should I not add the amononia and carbon filter? I also really don't want to spend to much money.

Well your next option is a canister filter if you can't cut the lid to make more filtration fit.
The carbon simply isn't necessary in a healthy tank. It absorbs odors and pollutants (not ammonia, etc) so if your doing regular water changes you don't need it.
The ammonia absorbers remove ammonia from the water leaving none for your bacteria. When it's full/runs out the ammonia builds and you have an ammonia spike because you don't have enough bacteria.

You really have enough filtration with just the 400gph filter you have unless you think its too loud & want something different. The aqueon 55/75 is a 400gph filter & the marineland emperor is a 400gph filter as well. The carbon is really only needed to remove meds/odors & only last a few wks. With a stable tank, you dont need amm removing rocks which only last a few wks as well. No need for the extra expense. You just need to fill the filter with some type of media for your bacteria to grow on (foam, sponge, polyfill etc). :)

thank you for he help. I just have two questions. What does the biomax do for my tank, and do I need two filters? If I do I think I remember seeing hoods at petsmart.

justintime20 said:
thank you for he help. I just have two questions. What does the biomax do for my tank, and do I need two filters? If I do I think I remember seeing hoods at petsmart.

I missed the part where you said your filtration is 400g/h so just the one you have is good. :)
The biomax provides a large surface area for bacteria to grow on.

The biomax just serves as a home for bacteria to grow. Thats it! As long as the filter you have runs 400gph, you dont need another filter unless you want to run another one. Another filter would serve as additional aeration & filtration & more room for bacteria to grow. Im always a fan of extra filtration for goldies but its also my personal preference. A hood isnt necessary either unless your fish are trying escape or you need it to place a light on. :)

Ok thanks again for he help. So I just need to use 2 sponges and a biomax

Just in case you missed it, only replace filter cartridges when they are falling apart. When they get clogged, rinse them in some water from the tank.

that's what i usually do, and how often should i clean my filter? There is also this weird white stuff on the glass inside the tank. I can get it off by scrapping it off but just wondering what it is.

Clean your filter when it gets gunky. Every couple of weeks???

Could the weird stiff on the glass be snail eggs or something?

Hello sorry for not updating in a long time, but i'm having the same problems with my two fantails. And i notice since i've used two sponges and a bio-max my tanks gets brown really fast. Also i found out that my fantail missing an eye, his one of his anal fin is bleeding and not usable. i think this is why its been floating upside down and only swimming in a circle. I might have to kill him :(. I got to say though i don't know how he's been surviving. Secondly is that my other fantail is still continuing to stay at the bottom. I've been doing lots of water changes too btw.

Back
Top Bottom