Fish need more oxygen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cornflakes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just one question here. I have raised the temp of the water in my aquarium to around 31 degrees celsius as I'm trying to treat ich's disease in my tetras.

I've noticed over the days that my corydoras and even my pleco swim up to the surface quickly and swim back down. They do this quite often now around the same time i started raising the temp over the past week.

Is this because they need more oxygen? I read that raising water temp reduces oxygen levels as heated water has less oxygen in it than cooler water. Therefore I have to leave a ceramic air rock which I currently do leave on 24/7 for them.

I was just wondering if my assumption was correct about them needing more oxygen which is why they swim up to the surface so often now.

I think your assumption is correct. Another thing that I have seen people suggest for increasing oxygenation while treating ich is to lower your water level a couple inches so the water cascades out of the filter, stirring up the water.

hmm....interesting.
I noticed that also since I raised the temp to around 30, my corys are both
resting a lot more. They still scrounge around for food but they spend more time
just sitting on the ground not moving more than they did before.

I wonder if the increased temperature is doing this to them? Maybe they are more tired? Less oxygen = tired more? I'm not sure if this is correct but
guessing here.

Plecos I had have done that quick swim to the top and back down, not sure what it means but it wouldn't be a bad idea adding an air stone when raising temp.

Yes, increased temp lowers oxygen levels. You can try adding an adjuster to the air stone, so you can increase the flow of bubbles (one of these: Grreat Choice® Airline Connector Kit - Air Pumps & Accessories - Fish - PetSmart or Aquarium Air Pumps » Top Fin® Aquarium Gang Valve | PetSmart) or try adding another air stone to the other side of the tank. Also as someone else said you can lower the water line a bit so that the flow of water from the filter causes more water disturbance which would create more oxygen exchange.

Back
Top Bottom