Fish not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbrandonnm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got a question I don't really know where to post it. is it weird that if I don't feed my fish for a few days that when I do feed them I don't see them eat like when I turn on the light and go to feed them they just hide I could walk away and be half way across the room and watch them so that they don't get scared they still don't eat. I feel like I'm wasting a lot of food and I'm worried that they aren't even eating it. Anyone have any reasons why this might be or what I can do? I thought it was because the flakes where on the top of the water and they are bottom fish so I got pellets that sink but when they sink to the bottom they don't pick them off the bottom of the water. I really don't know any help would be appreciated thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What type(s) of fish? How long have you had them? What size tank with what decor? What are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)? How often do you do water changes?

If the water tests normal, perhaps it is just the type of fish you have. Many bottom dwellers are also nocturnal, so you may not get to see them feed. If you're feeding sinking pellets, can you still see remnants of the pellets in the morning? They pretty much disintegrate rather quickly, but if they are left completely undisturbed you will still see a small pile of it on the substrate even after several hours. If they really aren't eating, maybe they don't like what you're offering...however, they'd probably eat almost anything if they're hungry enough. Perhaps they are feeding on something else such as algae or left over food from other tank mate meals?

They need time to recover after light comes on. I have my lights on a timer so they aren't so startled. After they are fully awake, then I feed them.

I feed daily and with my shy fish I sit quietly in front of the tank and they get used to me and stop hiding so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@jessipanda I have 2 black skirt tetra 3 neon tetra and 2 serpae tetra. I'll post a picture of my tank for decor and I change my water once a week or a week and a half and my water is normal. When I feed them the pellets I don't see them do anything with them but I do not see them when I wake up like they dissolved or went into the substrate but when I do clean the tank and use the suction on the substrate I see a lot of food particles come out of it and could it be that I don't turn my light on at a regular time like its scattered hours? @coursair I think you maybe partly right but I don't turn my fish tank on in the morning because I leave early for work so they should be awake around 3:30-4 pm when I do turn it on and they may not be used to me yet but I've had then sense the summer so I'm not sure why not? Thanks for the reply by the way guys

It may be because you don't have groups of your fish. Tetras act a lot better when they have more buddies.

We usually say at least 6 of each species if you have room. More is better. If you ever see a big school of Neons it's quite a sight !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At one point I only had one black skirt and he looked lonely but I don't have room to get anymore ? I'm not waiting for my fish to die because I love them but when they do I think I'm going to get more of one species and not so scattered about with my fish.

Okay. How many gallons is this tank? As coursair said, tetras need groups as most are schooling fish. 2 fish here and 3 fish there isn't going to help them any. However, that being said, you've had these fish for many months now if you got them in the summer. Have they always hid? Have you ever observed them eating? Tetras are not bottom dwellers, nor are they picky. I have neons, cardinals, and rummynose in my tank and they eat anything--flakes, shrimp pellets, algae wafers, frozen mosquito larvae, daphnia, and bloodworms, as well as any blanched veggies I add for my catfish. They were shy for the first couple days, but they swim the tank without issue during daylight hours now.

If yours were acting normal and aren't anymore, how long has this behavior been going on? They may have some sort of disease or parasite. If they have been this way since the beginning, and yet are still alive, they may just not be used to your presence and are probably eating when you're not around. If you have that much food left in the gravel, you are probably feeding too much and/or too often. A tiny pinch of flakes once a day or even every other day would be best. When feeding pellets, just put one in for that small number of fish. I have 35 fish and feed them 4 shrimp pellets once a week.

As for light, you can get a cheap timer from a big box store such as walmart for only a few bucks. Set it to what you want and then they will have a routine lighting schedule.

Also, when you say the “water is normal” do you have a test kit for things such as ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? If not, invest in a good test kit such as the API master kit. It's worth it to know. How much water do you change out each week? Do you use any water conditioner? Do you temp match the water? Fluctuating temps can be lethal. As can chlorine found in tap water.

Back
Top Bottom