Fish Pairing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spencer2112

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello All:

I just got a 28 gallon hexagon tank and looking forward to setting up in the next few weeks. I grew up with fish tanks but this is my first running the show.

I have a few questions and would appreciate any feedback and incite!

Ideally I think I want to do...

A few tiger barbs
A few clown loaches
A few platinum neon green tiger barbs
An angel fish- not too long as tigers would nip at the tail
An algae eater

I am also looking to do 1or 2 of below as staple... I was researching...

Keyhole Cichlid
Sterbia Cory Catfish
Discus
Dwarf Puffer

I don't mind spending the money for the above so price isn't too much a factor.

My questions...

1) How many tiger barbs should be together in this size tank with other fish?
I know they are schooling but I didn't know what is too many to be over bullying other fish, or too little. Thoughts?

2) What good tall live plants go best for semi aggressive fish?

3) Any other recommendations? I am a little backwards as I think I am set on my "filler" fish but having trouble finding the larger staples.

Thanks!

-Justin

Hi Justin,
Welcome to the forum!

I'm really glad that you've stopped by the forum to ask for input on your stock.

In a friendly way I need to advise you that your stock list really needs some help - but I assume that's why you stopped by.
I don't want to overwhelm you, so first I'll provide you with some helpful links to help in your research.

Two sites that I like for researching individual species are Freshwater Fish: Freshwater Tropical Fish Species for Tropical Fish Tanksand Knowledge Base — Seriously Fish

And then, once you have a list of species you like (such as you have made), visit this site, AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter AdvisorYou enter in the size of your aquarium in the "Dimension" section, then enter the fish you are interested in. You can then scroll down to see the stocking level of your tank.

OK that was my introduction - my next reply will be to address your wish list in specific. I'm sorry to say that a lot of your wish list fish are not going to work :(

Stay tuned for next reply

OK, to the specifics. Let's just go down your list.

A few tiger barbs - These are very mean fish in small groups, so the bigger the group, the better. Minimum 6. Unfortunately you can never be assured that the barbs won't nip at your other fish.
Barbs are generally recommended in a 30g tank, and that is meant as a "Standard" rectangular tank. I can't say if they are suitable in a 28g hex, and won't pretend to. Someone else will have to advise you on this
, as I don't know.
Often people will recommend barbs in a species tank because they can be so mean.

A few clown loaches - Unfortunately, these are not going to work in your tank, and this is not one you can fudge. These fish reach a foot long AND are schooling fish, meaning you need 6.
See the article here at seriously fish
Or this one at live aquaria
Minimum 100 gallons, and a school. They just are not a fish for a 28, I'm sorry.

A few platinum neon green tiger barbs - Same deal as other tiger barbs. I do not think you can fit two schools of tiger barbs, as you need a school of each type. Pick your favorite.

An angel fish- not too long as tigers would nip at the tail - I've seen other people recommend against an angel in a 28g. I have no experience or opinion about this. Regardless, I think putting an angel with tiger barbs may be a recipe for disaster. Requires more research.

An algae eater - A nice small algae eater is an Otocinclus Catfish. They are excellent for algae. They need a very established setup, so you would get these later down the line.

I am also looking to do 1or 2 of below as staple... I was researching...

Keyhole Cichlid - Cichlids and community fish do not mix.
Sterbia Cory Catfish - Cories are awesome and cute bottom fish. Very friendly and peaceful. I'm not sure about them with the barbs, needs more research.
Discus - Discus and almost all other community fish do not mix because Discus require abnormally high temperatures. Usually you will see Discus in a species-only tank.
Dwarf Puffer - Species only. Do not play well with others.No not even like each other. They are happiest as the ONLY occupant of a tank.

I hope this isn't discouraging. The hobby is FILLED with amazing and colorful community fish that will work in your new tank!

Also it sounds like you've done fish stuff before but - be sure to cycle your tank before you add anything! Info in the stickies at the top of the "Getting Started" board

Hmm, I entered the tiger barbs in at aqadvisor and it does not recommend those for your size tank. I didn't realize a 28 hex is only 18 inches across. Unfortunately that does limit you somewhat.

Can you tell me about what you want to see as far as colors etc? I bet we can help you find some awesome fish that will fit.

I have the same size hex tank. It has 1 betta, 10 Cardinal Tetras, and 6 cory cats or kuhli loaches. (Haven't decided which yet) Thats about all you can add because of the odd size.

Spencer,
Welcome to AA. You have come to the best site, in my opinion, there is on the web for knowledge and advice about aquariums and fish keeping. You've already met two of our better advisors. There are many great people in here willing to help you save money and grief. Take time and look through a lot of the old posts and you'll find a wealth of information as well as links to good websites for doing research.
Tiger barbs of the various types are pretty nippy fish. Give it serious thought about having them and what would be compatible with them. They are great looking fish, very personable.
Good luck and welcome again, OS.

How about doing a pair of angels, 1 bristlenose pleco, 6 cardinal tetras, and 6ish Cory cats. This will give you the angels that you wanted and skips out of the problem fish. There will be plenty of activity in the middle and bottom of the tank as well.

The size of your tank severely limits some of your stocking options but the hex tanks are still very nice.

The keyhole cichlids, clown loaches, keyhole cichlids, and discus will absolutely not work in your tank. The tiger barbs will also be a menace in a tank that size with the lack of literal swimming room.

How about doing a pair of angels, 1 bristlenose pleco, 6 cardinal tetras, and 6ish Cory cats. This will give you the angels that you wanted and skips out of the problem fish. There will be plenty of activity in the middle and bottom of the tank as well.

The size of your tank severely limits some of your stocking options but the hex tanks are still very nice.

The keyhole cichlids, clown loaches, keyhole cichlids, and discus will absolutely not work in your tank. The tiger barbs will also be a menace in a tank that size with the lack of literal swimming room.

Personally I like this idea minus the angels. Angels get big and I think you could fit one angel but not two. Or you could do a pair of rams/apistos/keyhole.

Personally I like this idea minus the angels. Angels get big and I think you could fit one angel but not two. Or you could do a pair of rams/apistos/keyhole.

My suggestion for the angels is because they do great in hex tanks. They dont really require a ton of side to side swimming room when compared to other fish. I wouldnt personally recommend the keyhole cichlids because they need a lot more lateral swimming room than this tank provides.

A pair of GBRs once the tank is matured in about 4-6 months after it is cycled. GBRs really need a developed tank to do well. My personal stocking on a tank that size would be:
1 german blue ram
7 cardinal tetras
5-6 otos
Your tank shape really limits your choices.

Wow, thanks everyone for your advice! Much appreciated and really got me thinking.

What if I get a new tank, a more traditional 30 gallon rectangle? Now going back to my original fish ideas, would they work together? It sounds like my problem might be the tank not the fish.

Thanks!

A few tiger barbs-You will need at least 10
A few clown loaches -Still not going to be a big enough tank they need 100+ gallons
A few platinum neon green tiger barbs-You need to have a school big enough choose either or but not both barbs. So they keep the picking to each other instead of their tank mates
An angel fish- not too long as tigers would nip at the tail-Just watch that angel for nipping
An algae eater- depends on the type
Otherwise you should be ok if you switch up the tank

If you can fit a standard 30 gallon in your space, do a 40 gallon breeder instead. It is 36x18x16 instead of 36x12x16 and that additional 6 inches of depth (front to back) will make a big difference in tank crowds. Or a 50 gallon is 36x18x19 (this is a tough to find size, though). Usually when we size aquariums we are fitting them into a space by width and neglect that maybe we can accommodate a few more inches of depth. Get the biggest tank you can fit in your space.

If you're located in the US, the 40 gallon breeder size is also a part of the Petco $1/gallon sale which is always an amazing value.

I think that you should rethink your stock. Start with a template like this:

1-2 centerpiece fish
2 or 3 schools of other fish.

You might want to try:
1 appistorgramma
8 neon tetras
4 otocinclus vittatus
7 harlequin rasbora

That would give you a great, colorful tank, with out algae problems, and with fish on every level of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom