fish, plant, and snail compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reason I asked is that song in your sig is a Bowie classic and has sort of a cult following now. BTW - This will also serve as a "Bump" for the question.

For what it's worth, the only real common snail eaters are puffers and loaches as far as I know. That's all the info I can really give. Hopefully someone else chimes in.

Yes, puffers and loaches are not compatible with snails. Most african cichlids are not compatible with plants, but they are all way to big for a 5 gallon anyway.

A 5 gallon hex, guppies, white cloud mountain minnows are pretty good choices, as they stay small, and are somewhat more tolerant of poor water conditions, will not bother plants or snails. (Though I'm not really sure about the fancy-tail guppies, they've been bred so much for color, I don't know their hardiness.) Avoid Neon and Cardinal Tetras, unless you are an expert with them. Their size is right for that tank, but I find them to be very sensitive to water conditions, and they croak easy. With a 5 gallon, you will have to stay on top of water conditions big-time. The water parameters can go bad on you very quickly in a tank that size. Some plants are a great plan for a tank that small, plants will help stabilize water conditions, especcially some fast growing stem plants like Hygro, water sprite, or my favorite for small tanks, Hornwort.

corvuscorax said:
Yes, puffers and loaches are not compatible with snails. Most african cichlids are not compatible with plants, but they are all way to big for a 5 gallon anyway.

Man, I really need to be better about carefully reading posts. I've been doing a ton of skipping over things and leaving things out lately.

I can't imagine any fish that will fit in a 5 g would be too hard on plants or snails.

FYI- Apple snails devour live plants. Pretty fast if you don't give them lettuce or something, but they will still munch on the plants- they'll eat java fern too.

lol I love my apple snail but my platies think he's yummy so....there are always exceptions and he is still alive.

As far as I know apple snails will eat basically any live plant. The only exception I could of thought of would be java fern since I thought just about nothing would eat it-- until I saw my apple snail devour some.

O they don't like to eat it but will if there isn't anymore food for them they will eat it- So I guess you can put fern in there and everyday put a huge piece of lettuce in there. Just try it out.

Lol no problem. How bout putting a bunch of fake plants in there and feed them lettuce everyday? That would look good. Don't get silk plants I've seen my apple snail chew on them before.

I'm already on it Lance...I already have a number of fake plants (no silk - wife thinks silk is for human consumption only - lol). Just wanted the ferns to give it a better look and provide another environment for everyone to hide in.

Thanks so much!

See if you can find a friend around were you live that has java fern and see if you can get a couple baby ones. Then tie them down on some driftwood. If you regularly feed the apple lettuce he may not touch the fern- like I said before they don't like to eat it, but will if they have too. It's worth a shot, java fern looks nice- especially the lace java fern.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom