Fish question -- stocking, upside down catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkpate

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, so I think I need some more fish in my 20 tall. Right now there are 6 Kuhli "java" loaches, 2 male guppies and 2 H. Rasb.'s. Yesterday I was looking at the fish at Walmart (no worries, not getting them there) and I saw these little upside down catfish in there and though they were super cute and funny. I was wondering if you guys thought it would be okay to add some of those, or maybe some corys? My tank just looks empty all the time.
Also, would I be able to use my snail tank as a QT?
Thanks in advance! :D

I feel like the snails may be harmed by any medications that aren't organic (Melafix, Pimafix, Ich Attack, etc.), And if you are running a simple sponge filter with no carbon, I would think it'd be fine. I did read that QTs should not have gravel and limited decor for stress relief. But wait for more people to respond lol since I still don't have a QT of my own.

I feel like the snails may be harmed by any medications that aren't organic (Melafix, Pimafix, Ich Attack, etc.)
pimafix and melafix are all natural... they come from tea leaves and are the ONLY meds i'll ever use.

I dont think you'd have a problem unless your massive number of snail eggs hatched and took over :)

They haven't hatched yet LOL. I think the first clutch is a dud, but I am still hopeful for the other 3!
I have both Pima and Mela, which is all I will ever use too. :) I am just worried about ich...

Go with Ich Attack. It's organic and won't do anything but good for your tank. It smells terrible, but it works! It's like $16.00 at PetCo where the pets go :) lol.

Well the big bottle is $16.00. I recommend the big bottle. I also did the primary dosage in the morning, then halved that dosage before I went to bed. Go ahead and treat any of the tanks you think may have Ich. And then when you buy new fish, put them in your QT and treat them for three days with the stuff, then give them a week to see if the possible Ich takes shape. If not You're good to go and add them to your main tanks.

salt + heat is the only way ill treat ich if i ever come across it... just my opinion, but i only dose melafix and/or pimafix if its the last resort... i really dont even like dosing them

Yeah, I was warned about using melafix too much. But the ich attack took the ich away in two weeks with salt, and no heat, and i forgot to mention up there plenty of water changes (I think they helped a great deal as well). And my fish look alot more colorful since then too. I guess it all comes down to which way you find works best.

I don't have ich in my tanks, I am just worried that if I get new fish, and QT them in the snail tank, I would have to treat them there because they will most likely have ich. I am leery of raising the temp in the snail tank though....
I had to treat ich when I got one of my bettas, I used QuICK Cure, and it worked great. Only had to use it for 5 or 7 days, so that was nice. I changed 50% of the water every day and was only able to use 1/2 doses because he's a betta LOL.

Ok, so I think I need some more fish in my 20 tall. Right now there are 6 Kuhli "java" loaches, 2 male guppies and 2 H. Rasb.'s. Yesterday I was looking at the fish at Walmart (no worries, not getting them there) and I saw these little upside down catfish in there and though they were super cute and funny. I was wondering if you guys thought it would be okay to add some of those, or maybe some corys? My tank just looks empty all the time.
Also, would I be able to use my snail tank as a QT?
Thanks in advance! :D
I love them soo much they are adorable and cute to look at! Corys are nice too but i like the upside down cat fish better then those

I watched them for about 30 minutes, and they were so funny and cute! And the tank that they would go in is already pretty busy, so they would fit right in! :D

Interesting I want to know what more people think, I have an understocked 27 bowfront that is tall, and they are very cool fish.

My blood parrot/firemouth hybrid has ich right now. Its been 4 days. The breakout started and he had a good 8-9 dots on his face and about 10-12 on his tail. I raised the temp as I didn't want to do meds and as of now he's got only 2 dots. Frome here on out ill only ever raise temps cuz I don't feel comfortable with any meds for something that can be fixed naturally. PS. I have snails (don't know what kind) and they're still truckin.

As for the upside down cats or corys. I've only had different corys and loved them. Upside down cats have not caught my interest but if you get some post pics and info and I may give em a shot.

I will for sure! They are adorable!
I will hopefully have some baby mystery snails soon, and I don't want to do anything to harm them, which is why I am so leery. I have quite a few people who want some, so I would like them to survive. :D

Can I just put in another suggestion for the Cories!!!
I could not be happier with the little hyperactive gang I have skittering around, and going nuts when its moonlight time. I love cories!! and you will too... :D

Check out the max. size of upside downs. My hunch is if you want a busy tank a school of panda cories would look much more active.

I'd definitly go with the cories. They are great for a tank that size and are excellent scavengers/community tank team players and are very social fish.

If you do get the upside down cat be careful and do your research as their max size vary from species to species with common types like Synodontis nigriventris staying around 4-5" but others like the Asian Upside down cat will grow over a foot. Some species can grow bigger. Just know what you are getting before you buy it.

The ones I was looking at only got 2", so no worries there, I am not a complete newbie anymore lol ;). The tank is already busy, so I thought adding some more busy fish would be better for the fish that are already in there. The upside down catifsh were busier at the store than the cories and they made me laugh! But I have seen some vids of cories, and they are also pretty funny! I can sit in front of that tank for hours laughing at all the craziness going on in there!
The new Guppies in there have made the H. Rasb.'s more active too, since they are not as afraid of the little guys anymore.
Thanks for all the input! :)

Back
Top Bottom