Fish rubbing against airline

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JAG818

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
I have a 150L planted tank which has been going for about a month.
I have an airline supplying CO2 to the tank. Several of the fish are striking against the airline with their sides, and veering away very quickly, almost as if it hurt.
I am sure it doesn't as they do not hit it with any force, it is almost as if they have an itch! Is this possible? Do fish need to scratch? Is it some kind of mite?
Any help please.

that's exactly what it seems like. when fish do that, they are essentially trying to scratch themselves. usually you see them do this against rocks, etc.

check your parameters.

Fish will ich against décor or the tank when they are trying to get a parasite or yes, ich off of them. Check your parameters as pcdebb said (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH). Usually if a fish is happy and healthy they can ward off any sickness or parasite. Let us know how they are doing, what your params are, and we can help you further!

Good luck!

My cichlids do the same thing but have had no other signs of parasites come to find out it was my substrate it is oolite aragonite mixed with black sand and coarse black substrate the super fine particles my johanni would stir up apparently irritated them a lil

That might be it! I'd prolly change the substrate then but either way unless you see signs of parasites I wouldn't stress them further with meds and everything

Back
Top Bottom