Fish scared of me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, I don’t have a lot of time but those strip readings a day back looked blah for accuracy. Same issues of under-reading or hard to read that I have seen. I’d suggest going into a store and getting them cross-checked at least. Or buy the solution/vial test kit. Ime those strip readings can not be trusted.

Also agree ammonia - looking good. Clearly doing a great job.

Also check out the aqadvisor link I posted above on stocking limits. While getting through the boring cycling bit it can be fun to play with (plus stops impulse buys - although not so good there in my case).

But seriously - congrats - you are on your way.

Filter pads -ime - always re-use until the pad is looking very worse for wear. Even washing under a hose (and this depends on tap chemistry but I do) as a last resort when swishing in old tank change water doesn’t work - will still preserve more bacteria than a new pad.

I know I should buy one of those I just keep putting it off. But perhaps I don't have any ammonia because I have an ammonia filter in the filter should I leave that in or take it out?

I know I should buy one of those I just keep putting it off. But perhaps I don't have any ammonia because I have an ammonia filter in the filter should I leave that in or take it out?

Ammonia filter as in zeolite or other ammonia absorbing media? Yeah, that can reduce ammonia and give a zero ammonia reading.
API Freshwater Master Test Kit is available on Amazon for $21.24, Prime eligible.

Is that good or not

If you want to remove ammonia, it’s fine and safer for your livestock. However, to get that cycle going, you will need a source of ammonia. Unless ammonia is a problem, I’d remove it and rely on water changes to keep it at a manageable and useful level.

Same as above - these products eventually stop working after a while which we have just advised to do with not replacing filter pads.

What is in the filter pads? And how many pads are in the filter? Also what else is in the filter eg sponge, etc. A link would be handy.

You might be able to leave the zeolite filter in, it gets used up for soaking up ammonia but bacteria grow on it. Possibly take a bit longer to cycle. But if filter has several pads should be ok as bacteria will be growing on them as long as some ammonia is present (which you had a small amount).

From memory when i used these that would be possible as they don’t stop soaking up ammonia suddenly.

So depends on filter setup I think of all media.

Ok here are the water stats and a picture of my filter setup

Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Total hardness around 190
Total chlorine 0
Total alkalinity 100
Ph 7.21516824190908.jpg1516824248154.jpg1516824273931.jpg

Edit: should I try to boost start the algae built up with some seed bacteria I have?

Looked like two filter pads (one of the ammonia zeolite filter and one of filter wool maybe)?

Adding the seed bacteria is generally fine with no issues.

I believe the blue plastic grid thing is supposed to harbor the beneficial bacteria so you’d want to leave that alone.
Isn’t temporary murkiness worth getting your tank cycled? Sounds like a minor nuisance.

I believe the blue plastic grid thing is supposed to harbor the beneficial bacteria so you’d want to leave that alone.
Isn’t temporary murkiness worth getting your tank cycled? Sounds like a minor nuisance.
I didn't mean it that way I meant I already used the seed as it said in the directions and didn't want to add to much extra now

I don't know if you can really see it in 5he picture bit there is a lot of algae growing on the air tube in my tank and the black fish look like they are growing (tail breaks a slight amount every so often and grows back) They all recognize me and when I walk up they go to the top and start following me looking for food and I plan on getting a couple more corydoras to make a school cause I hear they do better like that and another Angel dame size as the black ones to divert attention away from those 2. Anyway should that algae be there or should I do something about it?

Ps I know it's not the light reflecting off the plant I checked that out first and here are some parameters

Nitrate 10
Nitrite 0
Total hardness around 150
Total chlorine 0
Total alkalinity 120
Ph 7.5
And ammonia pic is below
Also I did my last water change last Sunday 1517086920640.jpg1517087476896.jpg1517087780978.jpg

Looked like normal green algae I think. If you are cleaning it off more than every one to two weeks you could reduce lighting else some people like having it. I have to clean my glass every two weeks I think for green algae.

I think you have the testing so up to you on posting photos. I don’t believe the strip tests anyways.

Stocking - did you try the stocking website? In the first instance, no more fish should be bought while cycling the tank - if just one fish gets stressed from ammonia, gets a bacterial infection on those damaged fins - easily can result in the entire tank wiped out. Plus meds use would kill off bacteria as not established and tough yet.

Other though is this from memory on earlier posts was over-stocked anyways - I’ve forgotten tank size / fish stock? But some of those I was thinking will need rehoming. Apologies if incorrect there - at least it isn’t a pond goldfish in a 10 gallon which was quite common several years back.

http://aqadvisor.com

Hi I'm new to aquariums and I just got a 20 gallon tall tank and i added all the chemicals and 2 baby Angel fish from the store 3 days ago along with 2 neon glo fish the neon fish died on the first night and when I brought them in the following day along with a water sample they said the water was fine (using the test with the test tubes) and the fish werent killed by the anglefish now my Angel fish are still alive but won't eat at all I changed the filter and ammonia cartridge along with 1/3 of the tanks water but the fish still won't eat and the water is still a little merky help

It will be merky in the beginning during the cycle. It will eventually clear once the tank is cycled. It takes a while.

I put fish in my tank 4 years ago without it being cycled. However I changed 25 percent of the water every 3-4 days until it was cycled. No one died. Everything was fine. I did not add anything to the water. Just gave it time and frequent water changes.

Guys do you think that my tank might already be cycled? I'm saying this cause on the first night 2 neon tetras died (probably cause the tank wasn't cycled) and after that I didn't change the water for a week or so cause I didn't know any better. in this time, and a couple weeks after I didn't test the water, or go to the store for them to test it. So I am proposing that mabye in that period of time my tank could have gone through a cycle and when I got the testing kit the tank was on the tail end of the cycle so it looked like in fact the cycle was just starting while it really was ending. I have reason to say this because I saw on the internet that the strips show different colors then what they are soposte to occasionally, and if you look closely at the picture below you can see that the nitrate color is not what it is soposte to look like When it's actually at 0. This would explain the algae growing all over and why the ammonia test is showing 0 ammonia. Another thing during the time period where I couldn't test the water it was really merky especially when I breify took out the ammonia filter for about 3 days this could have been the cycle acting too cause around then I was adding chemicals and only doing weekly water changes which could have greatly sped up the cycle. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 1516824190908.jpg
    1516824190908.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 33
Guys do you think that my tank might already be cycled? I'm saying this cause on the first night 2 neon tetras died (probably cause the tank wasn't cycled) and after that I didn't change the water for a week or so cause I didn't know any better. in this time, and a couple weeks after I didn't test the water, or go to the store for them to test it. So I am proposing that mabye in that period of time my tank could have gone through a cycle and when I got the testing kit the tank was on the tail end of the cycle so it looked like in fact the cycle was just starting while it really was ending. I have reason to say this because I saw on the internet that the strips show different colors then what they are soposte to occasionally, and if you look closely at the picture below you can see that the nitrate color is not what it is soposte to look like When it's actually at 0. This would explain the algae growing all over and why the ammonia test is showing 0 ammonia. Another thing during the time period where I couldn't test the water it was really merky especially when I breify took out the ammonia filter for about 3 days this could have been the cycle acting too cause around then I was adding chemicals and only doing weekly water changes which could have greatly sped up the cycle. Thoughts?
Forgot to add the picture here it is1516824190908.jpg

Would need to get it all properly tested using solution / vial at shop for nitrates, nitrites and ammonia I’m afraid. The strip tests are just wrong. In my experience both pool and aquarium strip tests are next to useless unfortunately.

Since it looked like some ammonia in early photos - I’d suspect the tank is unstable still.

The algae is driven by light.

Worth checking in though to answer the question for sure.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom