Fish Tank(s) in Basement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amrita1107

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We recently bought a house in Southeast Michigan. The house came with what looks like an old fish room, pic attached. The numbers on the tanks are the capacities in gallons. The previous owners did not use it, so it has not been used in about 30 years. We wanted to evaluate starting our own freshwater fish room, but both my husband and I are new to all this. After doing a fair bit of research, ventilation and humidity seem to be of utmost importance. Currently the room has no ventilation, it is in a 2000 sq. ft. partially finished basement.

We plan to do the following to prep -
1. Paint the walls with an eggshell latex paint, the walls are all concrete blocks
2. Paint the inside of the tanks with something akin to Bond-crete
3. Ceramic tiles on the floor

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0525.jpg
    IMG_0525.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 342
Yes, each tank has glass held by a metal frame. Everything else is concrete.

that is one strange setup. nicely sized tanks, but electric outlets above the water and the wiring in general really giving me the creeps though. when you say fish room do you mean you will be breeding or have a nice display tank gallery ? in either case I think I would tear this down and rebuild this had I found it on my property.

Hmm, with like a pond or massive sump underneath? The seals on the glass are most likely shot. Dry rot. Is there plumbing in there, can you post more close up pictures? I'm intrigued

that is one strange setup. nicely sized tanks, but electric outlets above the water and the wiring in general really giving me the creeps though. when you say fish room do you mean you will be breeding or have a nice display tank gallery ? in either case I think I would tear this down and rebuild this had I found it on my property.

More of a display tank gallery. I don't think we are ready to breed anything yet :blink: Not sure if we want to tear down everything... how about using just one tank? Think the humidity will stay under control?

Hmm, with like a pond or massive sump underneath? The seals on the glass are most likely shot. Dry rot. Is there plumbing in there, can you post more close up pictures? I'm intrigued

Here are the close ups. And yes, we were originally planning to run a sump in one of the tanks. But now, we are concerned about the humidity and not sure if filling all three tanks with water is such a good idea.

And yes, the seals do seem shot, will recaulking do the trick or do we have to do something more?

Attachments

• IMG_0527.jpg
    IMG_0527.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 160
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 145
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 151
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 142
That's kinda cool. Lol. What's behind the tanks? I agree, we need more pics of everything.

Assuming the concrete is still solid? The electrical looks terrible imo. You'd need a complete overhaul. I see a capped vent, that could be your vent line? See where it goes?? I'm not sure how into this you are? $$$wise.. you may be better off picking up a new tank and setting it up, cycling and getting some fish to see if you're really into. It's work and it costs continually. Especially the more your tastes develop. That's a massive project that looks like a couple thousand bucks to me??

Look up concrete aquarium sealer. I think you can choose colors..
Give the tanks a good clean /dry ,then seal. Maybe multiple layers.
Then you caulk glass to sealer and hope it all holds together..
A simple exhaust fan and/or dehumidifier will work fine for you..
I have 60 aquariums from 120g down to 2g in my basement and my bed room is in other half.. In the summer I blow fans out window and in winter I run dehumidifier 24/7.
Search monster basement tanks ..Ply wood tanks are pretty sweet..
I see how that is laid out ,,Pretty cool and plenty of gallons..
Likely they were goldfish/koi ponds.. They are part of the foundation by attachment and heating them may be difficult ?

Hello am...

This is definitely one you want to walk away from in my opinion. Especially, with no experience. I have a fairly large tank room in my basement too, but my tanks are small compared to yours. And, the humidity issue is one to be concerned about. In the winter here, we have a lot of moisture on the inside of the windows and we have a very dry climate compared to Michigan. I think those with tank experience would love your basement. If you're interested in the hobby, get a new 55 gallon tank with some of the bells and whistles and put it on the main floor where you can enjoy it. If you get "the bug", you'll know it. In a year or two, proceed with the project of redoing your basement to accommodate such large tanks.

B

That's kinda cool. Lol. What's behind the tanks? I agree, we need more pics of everything.

The tanks are against the wall, no gap. Here are some more pics, not sure if they help. Tanks haven't been cleaned yet, so don't mind the clutter.

Attachments

• IMG_0546.jpg
    IMG_0546.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0545.jpg
    IMG_0545.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0544.jpg
    IMG_0544.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0543.jpg
    IMG_0543.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 108
@coralbandit Yes, it is cold in that room. I am wondering if this will turn into a money pit. I have kept 50 - 60 gallons tanks before, but nothing of this scale, and they were all in well ventilated and heated areas. I might be better off keeping reptiles!

Assuming the concrete is still solid? The electrical looks terrible imo. You'd need a complete overhaul. I see a capped vent, that could be your vent line? See where it goes?? I'm not sure how into this you are? $$$wise.. you may be better off picking up a new tank and setting it up, cycling and getting some fish to see if you're really into. It's work and it costs continually. Especially the more your tastes develop. That's a massive project that looks like a couple thousand bucks to me??

I agree. This definitely needs a lot of time and money, and we might be better off with something lower maintenance like reptiles. Oh well.

I wish I had room in my basement to do something like that from the beginning.

I’m in Ann Arbor. Where are you at?

Dont get me wrong, while I wouldn't run this as is (even with a reseal) lots of things can be done to improve and make it pretty much a dream setup. Heat loss can be improved by insulating, moisture limited by some sort of enclosure, electrics and plumbing can be redone properly, aesthetics improved too. It is all just a matter of knowing the desired outcome, funds and commitment.

It's definitely going to take some work but how cool would those tanks be running and full of fish. Personally I'd spend a little time and money here and there until it was completed. Get the electrical moved over to the left side wall where it's open and not above the tanks. The electrical is all ran outside of the wall so rerouting it shouldn't be as big a deal as if it were behind sheet rock. I keep my tanks in my unfinished basement but I live in a dry desert area so humidity isn't a problem. Only temp fluctuations. Anyhow, that's my 2 cents.

Oh man! I'd be all over that. Little by little. Seal up all the cracks on the cement walls and floor. Slap a sub floor down to keep the cold out. Clean up the tanks and see what you got to work with. Go from there. Figure things out as you go.

Yah.. It would be an amazing build. Don't get me wrong. Just a little black pond paint in there and some engineered stone on the front.. boom!! That's some Pinterest worthy material. It can most certainly be done. It's just a matter of time and money.

Back
Top Bottom