fish tanks in movies AAAARGH!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tracygh

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hubby and I picked up a DVD to watch tonight, and I found myself getting so irate with the props.

The movie is called Twisted, with Ashley Judd, Samuel L. Jackson and Andy Garcia, FABULOUS movie, keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole time (thriller/action/mystery/drama).

HOWEVER there is a recurring setting of a psychiatrist's office, and there is always a fish tank behind him whenever they show him sitting down. It's only ever half full of water! There are fish in it, they look like basic swords or platies, but the tank is just so wrong! Sometimes the bubbles are on, sometimes they're not...how can a filter run on a half tank...oh man I wanted to scream!!! It totally took away from the movie for me, because I couldn't concentrate on the scene, only the tank. Am I losing it, or does this happen to anyone else?

OK, I'm done now...I think... :soap:

Yes, I love spotting tanks in the movies that have been obviously set up just for a shot and have all sorts of bizarre combinations of fish in them....or fishbowls with marine fish in them.

lol i usually just see tanks with few fish, the brightest/most colorful decor available, and a couple bubble wands

the ones that really get me are the "we'll remodel your room/house" shows that throw in a random fishtank and have it "fully set up and stocked" by the time the show's over. Fish tanks take effort and responsibilty. Just like any other pet. Would a remodeling show ever just randomly buy someone a dog? :evil:

I recall an episode of "Every Love's Raymond". He purchased what appeared to be a 55gal SW tank for his father's birthday. The tank was up and running the same day, complete with fish.

And the classic...even though an animated movie..."Finding Nemo". That movie alone caused many problems. It almost convinced my wife that we could have the same type of tank. :(

In The Graduate, Benjamin Braddock has gouramis and angels in a metal framed tank.

Do you think most who watched Finding Nemo believe flushing sets fish free?

czcz said:
Do you think most who watched Finding Nemo believe flushing sets fish free?

Not possible. Well, there was that and the ultimate fantasy of "hopping" across the counter top to jump out the window, cross the highway and jump into the harbor. :(

What makes me crunch even more was Deuce Bigelow, Male Gigolo. I mean, wow, all those fish! And that tank! They ruined it....twice! All for the love of a movie scene, these fish have to go through stress. And they don't get paid too!

What freaks me out in finding nemo was that the fish tank didn't appear saltwater. It felt like the setting was a freshwater tank with saltwater things in there. I dunno. It didn't appear SW to me. Plus, the Scumsomething 3000 gadget? Wow, where can I get that!

My favorite [ not ] is a comercial I saw recently.

It had a big, fat, fancy goldfish in a little drinking cup in a store display.

Now, I don't know if it was CGI or not, but either way it sends a bad message.

Probably the reason you think the tank in Nemo looked fresh water was because all of the fake plants were fresh water plants. Plus, the blue rocks, bubbling treasure chest, and erupting volcano are all things I associate with fresh water tanks. Er... The sort of things I liked when I first started.

Joleen

Andy from the Andy Milanakis show bought Koi and goldfish from the fish store. Then, while in plastic, he threw the bags into a large pond and said "You're free now, my little fishies!". Someone ought to have swam that dirty looking city pond to pull them back out.

Also, Steve-O from Jackass swallowed a goldfish. Then he drank gold fish water to puke the poor goldfish back out. All that gastric acids ought to have stressed that goldfish to death.

Poor goldfish species. They're celebs but they're like the "stunt people" of the fish world.

Remember the Bond film, "Octopussy" starring Roger Moore?
http://www.britmovie.co.uk/genres/bond/filmography/016.html

That tank couldn't be more than 45 gallons, and yet it housed a poisonous octupus?!?!

There was an amusing scene where one of the villian's henchmen went crashing headfirst into the aquarium and the octopus attached itself tightly to his face. I felt sorry for the octopus.

In The Graduate, Benjamin Braddock has gouramis and angels in a metal framed tank
I actually have been successful at housing 2 gouramis and 2 angels in the same tank. Sometimes the gouramis chase eachother, but other than that they are healthy and colorful. My wife gets mad at me because everytime I see a fish tank I make sure that I point it out :D . I seen this one movie that a PI had a SW tank in his office and was ashing a cigarette in it :x :x :x ! I wanted to cry.

Forget about the movies......how about the pictures that come on the boxes they sell aquariums in!

QTOFFER said:
Remember the Bond film, "Octopussy" starring Roger Moore?
http://www.britmovie.co.uk/genres/bond/filmography/016.html

That tank couldn't be more than 45 gallons, and yet it housed a poisonous octupus?!?!

There was an amusing scene where one of the villian's henchmen went crashing headfirst into the aquarium and the octopus attached itself tightly to his face. I felt sorry for the octopus.

That wasn't a real blue-ring in 99% of the shots, and real blue-rings are actually pretty tiny, so the 45G isn't all that unreasonable.

have you all seen Kiss the Girls, with Morgan Freeman

in the beginning the girl says goodnight to her fish, then someone tries to attack her, she trips down the stairs falls on the fish tank, cuts her arm from the glass, and the koi in the tank are flopping gasping for air

that made me mad but it was still a good movie

I want an aquascum 3000 too :) I agree that Nemo gave people a bad sense of those fish living together in a tank in reality. I still love that movie!! Just keep swimming......

How about the dish network or the other dish provider (forgot name) with the goldfish bowl with a goldfish about the same size as the bowl in it. Commercials are sometimes worst than movies. .

These images just perpetuate all the rediculous goldfish myths, and keeps making them almost generic. Most people have no clue about the rich history and once great importance and statute these fish once had. Ok, off my goldfish soap box :wink:

Fish and insects I guess dont get the same protection from the humane society that all other animals do. Not that I'm a PETA member or a bug lover, but how is it ethical or humane to eat live bugs for entertainment purposes? Arent insects living animals too? Fear Factor irritates me about this. Plus its just nasty.

I liked the shark in ace ventura. Since I'm sure a great white would live long in a 1000 gallon drum :)

By the way, cichlids are getting some air time at the Real World Austin. There's this cichlid tank in their "telephone" room. And they used to be just back grounds. But they are now being shown as fillers between scenes.

Cichlids are Celebs, wohooo!

I can't believe the tank in Finding Nemo had pebbles as substrate. At least I never actually seen a pebble saltwater tank. I guess it's just a bit weird to have pebbles in the sea.

I am not ruling out the fact that there are pebble beaches on earth. It's just common for SW tanks to be either sand or crushed coral or a combination of both.

yea i was watching The Real World: Austin

i like it cause it shows the fish tanks!!

thats the only reason i watch it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom