Fish temperment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ghannon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi i have my new tank set up and I'm having a problem with one of my angle fish

What's happening is that one of my angle fish is attacking my group of guppies

What's the best way i can deal with this problem

I'm new to looking after fresh water tropical fish and all help would be much appreciated

Hi i have my new tank set up and I'm having a problem with one of my angle fish

What's happening is that one of my angle fish is attacking my group of guppies

What's the best way i can deal with this problem

I'm new to looking after fresh water tropical fish and all help would be much appreciated

How big are the guppies? Is he chasing them or actually biting them? How big is the tank? how big are the angels? How big are the guppies? How long have you had them together?

Angelfish have a reputation of being pretty aggressive. I personally haven't had this problem but i know some that have some mean ones. You never said how big your tank is so my guess is that you may have them in to small of a tank. If it is a large tank make sure you have enough enough decorations and hides for your angels to gain territories. Ive never kept guppies so i dont know much about them. Although if you insist to kept angels with different species make sure you choose a fast fish that is not aggressive.

The tank is a 60 litre and the tank is just been cycled so the fish are only in the tank 2 days the guppies are about an inch long and the angle fish are about the size of the face of a watch

The angle fish i don't think is biting just chasing and bumping into them but I also notice that he has started to bump into the other angle fish that i have

Your tank is going to be too small for the angels, which will definitely cause some aggression.

However I will say that re-arranging the tank can help if the angel feels like the guppies are in it's "territory".

Bottom line though, you need a bigger tank. Also, if your angel is chasing your guppies now and it lives to adulthood. It'll definitely be dining on some guppies then.

Whats an angle fish? Do you mean angel? I just wanna make sure

Agreed....because angels grow height more then length you should have them in a taller tank. If they dont seem to be biting that sounds like normal behavior too me but you gotta upgrade to bigger if your wanting to keep angels. They have a way of "protecting their bubble" which is IMO the coolest trait about them lol

Thanks all for your help this is my first tank so I wanted to start of small first but will be upgrading to a bigger tank when I feel more comfortable i will try re arranging the tank first and see how it goes if not successful i will have to give the angles a re homing in a bigger tank

Thanks all for the help

Thanks all for your help this is my first tank so I wanted to start of small first but will be upgrading to a bigger tank when I feel more comfortable i will try re arranging the tank first and see how it goes if not successful i will have to give the angles a re homing in a bigger tank

Thanks all for the help

Anytime

Back
Top Bottom