Fish that like high flow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlecFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a 75 gallon setup, using two canister filters (aquatop cf500 and eheim 2215) outputs placed at either end of the tank. The flow is pretty high along the surface and mellows out towards the bottom and has a few slow spots where they can relax.

Currently its stocked with 5 dwarf neon rainbows 2 M, 3 F.
- 5 Cherry barbs, don't worry, getting more. Want to get these guys up to 10. All male, I love the deep red color.

I'm really considering getting rid of the rainbows, since the numbers are so low now and they're super hard to come by. Ideally I'd have those numbers up to 10 or 15 but, they're rare and expensive where I live. Curious to see if you guys think I could get away with just 5.

I'd like some ideas for more fish, I have a pretty large tank with nothing in it!

Let's say I get rid of the rainbows. What are some good ideas? Some danios and rasboras come to mind. But I'd like to know what YOU think.

Denison barbs love high flow, mine are always swimming into the current. They can't seem to get enough of it lol

Sent from my iPhone using my fat fingers covered in chocolate...

Hillstream loach like strong currents.

Also, can I ask, because you have such strong current and surface agitation, did you still add air pump or wave maker for water circulation/oxygen? Or is your current enough?
I want to know this for my tank. I hate air pumps and hoping its enough.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Really, thats not all that high of a flow. Anything under 10x the tank volume per hour is pretty tame in flow.

Denison barbs love high flow, mine are always swimming into the current. They can't seem to get enough of it lol

Dension barbs are sweet, I know a friend that had a big group. It was a spectacular display. They get 4"-5" so I'd probably count those out. I'll definitely like to try them out in the future. When I get a 6 footer.

Hillstream loach like strong currents.

Also, can I ask, because you have such strong current and surface agitation, did you still add air pump or wave maker for water circulation/oxygen? Or is your current enough?
I want to know this for my tank. I hate air pumps and hoping its enough.

Hillstream loaches, hmm. To the google I go!

I don't blame you for not wanting those hideous air pumps. I didn't need to add any sort of pump/powerhead. If you can point the output slightly upward towards the surface, you'd be good. In my situation I had some pretty bad surface film so, on my aquatop I have a cheap $13 surface skimmer hooked up to the intake. This allows for a surface scum free top and great oxygen exchange. Plus, I mean yeah two canister's on either side, with a spray bar pointed slightly upward, it gets me a little ripple and I'd call that good enough for o2 exchange.

Really, thats not all that high of a flow. Anything under 10x the tank volume per hour is pretty tame in flow.

Right, it's not a super high turnover rate. But since I don't have any huge pieces of driftwood or super thick plants. The flow isn't blocked by anything. Making it seem pretty powerful. Like I said at the surface of the water it's crazy, but it mellows out towards the bottom. I'd like a fish that can deal with the higher flow and not be confined to the slower parts of the tank.

Dension barbs are sweet, I know a friend that had a big group. It was a spectacular display. They get 4"-5" so I'd probably count those out. I'll definitely like to try them out in the future. When I get a 6 footer.

Hillstream loaches, hmm. To the google I go!

I don't blame you for not wanting those hideous air pumps. I didn't need to add any sort of pump/powerhead. If you can point the output slightly upward towards the surface, you'd be good. In my situation I had some pretty bad surface film so, on my aquatop I have a cheap $13 surface skimmer hooked up to the intake. This allows for a surface scum free top and great oxygen exchange. Plus, I mean yeah two canister's on either side, with a spray bar pointed slightly upward, it gets me a little ripple and I'd call that good enough for o2 exchange.

Right, it's not a super high turnover rate. But since I don't have any huge pieces of driftwood or super thick plants. The flow isn't blocked by anything. Making it seem pretty powerful. Like I said at the surface of the water it's crazy, but it mellows out towards the bottom. I'd like a fish that can deal with the higher flow and not be confined to the slower parts of the tank.
With that in mind a hillstream loach is out. They are a cold water fish that need obscenely high turnover.

Tetras and barbs should work quite well though.

There's a video on YouTube about creating a river biotope and the fish they talk about like high flow. I would advise zebra or giant danios.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Forgot to mention, I have a moderately high pH of 7.6 -7.8 (not certain on the exact number). So a large portion of tetras and barbs wouldn't be ideal in my tank, besides the super hardy types.

I'm actually really interested in a bottom feeder type fish. I already have two groups of fish that stick to the middle and top of the tank so at the substrate level, it's pretty barren. I've heard mixed responses on keeping cories in a high pH, so I'm curious to see what you guys think.

Besides cories or plecos are there really any bottom feeding fish that could work?

I was about to say denisons also- but they do get kinda big. I think almost barbs like more flow but most aside from cherry barbs get fairly large

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Gold barbs love high flow.. so do danio's it seems and my experience from gold barbs.. which I have always had.. they tend to be all over the tank.. top bottom.. middle and they always play right in the path of a powerhead or wherever the flow is going

Seriously, no loach suggestions outside of the Hillstreams? As mentioned above, Hillstreams need a specialized tank, so I wouldn't recommend them. That said, any of the other loach types love to play in current. Dwarf Chain, Khuli, Zebra, and Yoyo loaches are only a few of the options you can pick from. The bigger the school the more they'll be out in the opening, clowning around.

Stiphodon gobies could work. Garra are another possibility.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't have an extensive knowledge yet, but I'm a big fan of zebra danios, which are common, high energy, and get to be about 2.5-3" long, so you could have a fairly large shoal of them in a 75. As for bottom feeders, I know you asked for suggestions other than plecos, but I just love the bristle/bushynose. They love some driftwood to munch on, come in a couple of (imo) attractive varieties, are quite small for plecos (4-5") and have the added bonus of being a well respected algae eater.

Back
Top Bottom