Fish to breed in 55 gallon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bm5424

Aquarium Advice Activist
I would like some fish to breed in my 55 gallon. It is around 4 ft long, 2 ft high and 1 ft in width. I was thinking of doing egg layers as they are more of a challenge than live bearers and I already have a tank of them. I've bred kribensis and angelfish so I do have experience with them. I was think of cochlids but other fish are fine. I was looking for either fish that I can have a c breeding colony of or a single pair that will care for their fry for a little while.

I would like some fish to breed in my 55 gallon. It is around 4 ft long, 2 ft high and 1 ft in width. I was thinking of doing egg layers as they are more of a challenge than live bearers and I already have a tank of them. I've bred kribensis and angelfish so I do have experience with them. I was think of cochlids but other fish are fine. I was looking for either fish that I can have a c breeding colony of or a single pair that will care for their fry for a little while.

Have you thought about Gold Severums or Discus? With Discus, the fry need the parents to be with them as they use them for feeding.
Newer pairs of Oscars are small enough for a 55 but will need to be moved into a larger tank as they mature. (I started mine in 30s but they ended up in custom made 50s)
You could also do some assorted Mbuna Africans which carry the fry in their mouths.

Hope this helps...(y)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom