Fish Value

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justrelax

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm going to my first auction this saturday. I hope to pick up a pair of apisto's. Hopefully full red cuckatoos.
What is the highest price I should pay?
I figure in the lfs here, they go for ~$30 a pair. What I'm thinking is that buying them from a local breeder vs. the lfs where they're from who knows where, is worth a couple extra bucks. What do you all think? I don't want to look foolish :)

This is what the apisto breeder in our fish club is selling his for, this is what he was selling them for to other fish club members if that makes a difference.

Apistogramma agassizi Double Red 1-1 1/2" Pair $15
Apistogramma borellii Opal 1/2-3/4" $5 each 5/$20
Apistogramma cacatuoides Yellow Gold Orange Flash 3/4-1" Pair $12

Price is really subjective to the buyer and quality of fish. Some breeders are equivalents to "puppy mills" they sell junk, inferior stock (GBRS, BN, and discus for example). LFS can be tricky some buy good stock from local breeders but then many will buy what ever they can get their hands on for a good price. I would spend the money on good genes from someone reputable. You can still find good fish if you spend time looking at the LFS.

I have found great looking fish at my lfs, but they can never tell me where it's from. While I appreciate the quality of their livestock, it seems if I buy "homegrown" apisto's half the battle of getting them to breed is already won because they're are used to our local water quality. Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I can actually save a couple bucks doing it the auction way. I'll post what I find!

Justrelax... what local pet shops have you tried? I am in the Grand Rapids area also and have seen some at VIPets for ~$25/pair. They aren't anything that I myself would buy, because I would want GREAT quality as Lepomis suggested. Have you tried www.aquabid.com?

Where is the auction at? I have to work but I am still curious. How often do they have them?

P.S. If it is far away, don't forget to figure in travel expenses such as gas that you could be spending on the fish instead. It would be a neat experience however to go to something like that and see all of the different species of fish in person.

bs6749... VIPets is where I usually shop, both locations. Like you said, not anything I want to buy there either. It frustrates me how many fish are sold there with "no gaurantee". Check out grandvalleyaquariumclub.org. That is the local club that is putting on the auction, there is a link at their site to the specifics. The president of the club has a shop in Jenison north of the corner of Main and Baldwin, you should go check it out. He keeps weird hours so call first. I think it's called Aquarium Supplies. At first glance it looks kind of shady, but WOW he keeps awesome tanks inside. It's in a pole barn behind a house on a rural street. Healthiest fish I've seen in this area, and all the tanks are dang near show quality. And that's just the stuff he's selling! I just found the place on accident the other week, but I plan on becoming a regular... Let me know if you need help finding it or plan on going to one of the club meetings.

Local breeders here sell Orange Flash Cockatoo's for $20 a pair. Or rather that's what they request the LFSs charge for them.

Back
Top Bottom