Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Water :)

Sorry.. Its been a long day! I'm looking for ideas for a few tanks as well :)

About 2 Molly, 6 Red eye tetra, 7 Neon tetra and 1 dwarf gourami would look great, thats almost my setup lol i've lost my dwarf gourami tough.

Any fish in special that you like?

What kind are you looking at??? You have a kinda big selection of fish so are you interested in any fish?? You could have a school of some danios or something maybe community tank. Also could have some sort of cichlid tank.

seriously? 20 gallon small for mollies?
im being a terrible fish keeping then, with 2 mollies in my 16 gallon

torres said:
seriously? 20 gallon small for mollies?
im being a terrible fish keeping then, with 2 mollies in my 16 gallon

They are pretty active so that's why I think he said it was small. 20G long would be good anyways!

Mollies reach 3-5". Livebearers have a large bio-load for their size, so a livebearer that large has a huge bio-load.

Buenos Aires tetras are too large for the tank. I think rummynose would work though. However, they are a more sensitive tetra, so proceed with caution as it may not be the best option for a new hobbyist.

They have high bio-load and are active yes.
But if you give the fish good conditions to live in the aquarium i dont see anything wrong.
I would not put them in a tank smaller than 10 gallon, i think 15 and above is good enough.

Good conditions = proper filtration and plenty of swimming space. 29 gals minimum IMO.

:huh: if you think mine are in bad conditions buy me a bigger one then

My goal here is to provide good stocking advice to someone new to the hobby. Let's not take this thread off track. I've given my opinion on the mollies, and you can take it or leave it.

i think for a beginner guppies or endlers are okay.... people might say they are boring and too ordinary but i keep them and they are some of my favorite fish.

Some fish that are great for a 20 gal are neon tetras, glowlight tetra, cardinal tetra, ember tetra, guppies, endlers, platties, betta, dwarf gourami, apistogramma, rams, espei rasbora, harlequin rasbora, marbled hatchets, dario dario, peacock gudgeons, habrosus corydoras, panda corydoras, and kuhli loaches. :)

bigbert22fishiz said:
What fish do u guys recommend for a new 20 gallon tank?

Personally I love large schools of small fish. 20 Neons is visually stunning instead of 3 of this and 2 of that.

My list (adding gradually)
15-20 Neons ( or Glowlights or Harlequin Rasboras or something similar sized BUT all same species. Or at least 8 of one and 8 of another )

6 Corydoras ( or more if they are pygmy)

*5 or 6 Furcata or Threadfin Rainbows.

4 Otos

3 Nerites

* Optional IF Lots of plants

IF you stick with small fish with less bioload you can gradually have plenty of fish esp if you have lots of plants and good filtration with weekly PWCs.

My pics are on my profile page.

I avoid Livebearers because I don't want to overstock my tank with fry. If I wanted one I'd get one male Platy or Swordtail.

I've used Harlequin Rasboras or Cherry Barbs as starter fish in many tanks. Mine are over 5 years old.

A single krib would work. Not sure about more than one. No personal experience with them yet. They are on my wanted list.

Beware with oto's, they should be added to tanks that have matured for about 6 months or so, and you should stock no more than 1 per 5 gals. If you were to add 4 oto's, I would not add any other algae eaters like the nerites. Oto's can also be a bit tricky for the new hobbyist. They are almost always wild caught, and can be very tricky to feed. Many will not accept any prepared foods.

I avoid live bearers in general and buenos aires tetras are too big. There are many great tetras and a dwarf gourami would be a great way to finish off your tank with a center piece. Rummynose tetras are good for a well established tank and i recommend gold pristella tetras, bloodfin tetras, black phantom tetras, and zebra danios. Good luck big bert

Back
Top Bottom