Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonordy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What fish can I get for my 37gal I already have a puffer and a longhorn cowfish

It a valetini puffer and the cowfish is a baby about the size of my fingernail

Okay then, what are you going to do when they get bigger? Dont buy a bunch of small fish that will get huge. Its a bad idea and you will need to have a huge upgrade

Do you have any other ideas on other fish

The cowfish reaches a full grown size of 1'8" according to liveaquaria. Also it is difficult to care for and can poison your tank if it gets stressed. Cool fish, wouldn't want him to suffer in that small tank. The valentini suffer should be ok. General rule of thumb to follow, one inch of fish for every five gallons. That puffer full grown will be 4 inches, so becareful not to overstock that small tank.

Now to be helpful, if you get rid of the cowfish, I think you could put a long nose hawkfish with that small puffer.

Ok thanks but I think i will get rid of it in a couple years

FYI, the cowfish should outgrow the tank in under 1 yr. I have one in QT in a 20 for about 2mos. and it's heading for relocation soon. A pair of longnose hawkfish was a good suggestion or anthias, possum wrasses, fairy wrasses,...himalayan beaver :p It's more helpful to state what kind of fish interest you: fluttery, semi to aggressive, burrowers, etc :)

those 2 fish in that tank will be like a sardine can in no time
puffer can grow well over a foot and cow not far behind
you say sell them when they get big , know what good luck
not even a pet store would take them back that big
if your not going to keep them the duration of there life span don't buy them in the first place
and please don't say I'll release them in ocean
because they wont last a week
not trying to sound harsh but that's just how it has to be said

The valentini puffer I looked at should only get 4 inches, he should be fine with that, but the foot and half cowfish is too much. Overstocked will cause stress, like I said the cowfish poisons the tank when stressed. They're super cool looking but I wouldn't think of putting one in my 50 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom