Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Planted Odyssey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A ton of substrate shifting over the past couple days has caused some tank cloudiness, so I got the UV sterilizer running to the rescue tonight. Pics of another plant addition to come tomorrow after the tank clears up.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Planting is complete!

Trident Java Fern, with the Rooster Tail Java Fern now serving as a background plantThe Rotala macrandra is beginning to perk upPogo erectusFTS shots

Looks good. The reds break it up. Now sit back and relax while you can. Before the trimming starts.
What kind of light mode/schedule are you using?

Looks good. The reds break it up. Now sit back and relax while you can. Before the trimming starts.
What kind of light mode/schedule are you using?

Thanks! I have the Finnex Planted+ 24/7 on full power for 6 hours a day. If I start noticing algae, I'll dim it a bit. PPS-Pro dosing everyday again. In regards to trimming, I can already sense that it's coming quickly. The Ammania bonsai is already sprouting side shoots!

I really like the contrast in colours here. I'm not sure why I'm attracted to that as much as I am but in your aquarium it really makes things pop if that makes sense.

I really like the contrast in colours here. I'm not sure why I'm attracted to that as much as I am but in your aquarium it really makes things pop if that makes sense.

Thanks!

I've been away from the tank a couple days as I went out of town. The Ludwigia sp. red is starting to grow; although, the Rotala macrandra needs some perking up. I had the lights off, along with the CO2, for three days, so it should be really red and back to normal again soon.

They all look healthy. I always see a ton of white roots in your photos which is a really good sign. May I ask what stock you have in there besides the barbs and rasboras?

They all look healthy. I always see a ton of white roots in your photos which is a really good sign. May I ask what stock you have in there besides the barbs and rasboras?

Sure! Other than the barbs and rasboras, there are 6 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Gold Honey Gourami, and 2 Panda Garra.

Pic update to come. I already have a Staur repens carpet going. The Ludwigia sp. red is growing, and after a water change, the Rotala macrandra is more vibrant. The Downoi melted heavily, with the exception of a few stems. I'm hoping for a comeback.

FTS shots:

I experimented with flow, and added the Hydor nano 240 briefly, but it uprooted some S. repens and bothered the fish (which is why I took it out in the first place a couple months ago). I took it out, and cleaned the pico powerhead, which I like because of its gentle nature. All flow is in the same direction now.

FTS shots:

I experimented with flow, and added the Hydor nano 240 briefly, but it uprooted some S. repens and bothered the fish (which is why I took it out in the first place a couple months ago). I took it out, and cleaned the pico powerhead, which I like because of its gentle nature. All flow is in the same direction now.

The tank is a picture of health and looks fantastic. What bubble rate are you at?

The tank is a picture of health and looks fantastic. What bubble rate are you at?

Thank you! I believe the BPS rate is at 2.5ish bubbles per second.

Update: To my surprise the Ludwigia sp. red didn't melt and is doing rather well. On the other hand, the Rotala macrandra is struggling early on. It either hasn't adjusted to tank conditions yet, or it is pH related. Although, a couple stems are sprouting small roots on the stem, which is a good sign. New leaf growth is green, not red.

Update: To my surprise the Ludwigia sp. red didn't melt and is doing rather well. On the other hand, the Rotala macrandra is struggling early on. It either hasn't adjusted to tank conditions yet, or it is pH related. Although, a couple stems are sprouting small roots on the stem, which is a good sign. New leaf growth is green, not red.

I've seen the Rotala macrandra's leaves turn green under lesser light. I have a QT/holding tank with a single 15w fluorescent bulb and a variety of stem plants are floating in there (smothering each other). A few weeks after I moved the Rotala macrandra to my planted tank, the color changed back to peach/orange.
I am surprised to see this happen in your tank, though.

I've seen the Rotala macrandra's leaves turn green under lesser light. I have a QT/holding tank with a single 15w fluorescent bulb and a variety of stem plants are floating in there (smothering each other). A few weeks after I moved the Rotala macrandra to my planted tank, the color changed back to peach/orange.
I am surprised to see this happen in your tank, though.

I'm thinking it might just be an adjustment aspect of the plant. I've noticed this with the Ludwigia sp. red too in terms of new leaves. Eventually, the leaves redden. Still waiting on the Rotala macrandra though.

Update pic:

I'm leaving for the OBX tomorrow. Today, I'll be cleaning the filter and the tank. I'll have someone take care of the tank while I'm gone. The Rotala macrandra is still not doing that great (I think it's a water hardness issue, as this plant notoriously dislikes hard water). There is new growth, but it is green as mentioned before. I'll give it a couple more weeks, and if it still isn't doing well, I'll search for a replacement. If that occurs, I'll reduce lighting to 70%-80% since none of the plants that I have require full power.

Back
Top Bottom