Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Planted Odyssey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Before I go out and buy some more plants, do you guys think I should add anymore hardscape?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Did a quick rescape with the recommendations of a TPT member. This hardscape move might not be complete. Based on my tank's dimensions, the spider wood is better suited to be close to the middle, but not directly in the middle. This will also better allow me to divide Cryptocorynes across different areas of the tank. I might add some rocks.

Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Low-Light Tank

The rescape is not yet finished, but the plan is to replace the Crypt wendtii red with Crypt pontederiifolia, and add Crypt wendtii 'green gecko'. Green plants stand out better in this setup, especially since the lighting is lower and since the substrate is dark. The Buce Brownie Purple looks like it is going to die, but one of the green Brownie Buce plants is actually sprouting a leaf. The Catherinae appears to be growing as well, and looks to be the healthiest. I plan on adding more Anubias variety to this tank, so some more small driftwood pieces may be added for that purpose. The Windelov Java Fern will probably need to be moved in the near future to a less central location. I like the plant and I'd like to utilize it in the scape some way.

I do like the new scape. Just needs brightening up a touch in my opinion. :)

I know this is a primarily crypt tank, but if you ever go back to stems, Bacopa caroliniana grows okay in lower light, takes trimming well, and provides a bright green color.

I do like the new scape. Just needs brightening up a touch in my opinion. :)

Thanks, Caliban! All suggestions and opinions are welcome. ?

I know this is a primarily crypt tank, but if you ever go back to stems, Bacopa caroliniana grows okay in lower light, takes trimming well, and provides a bright green color.

I've been having trouble finding contrasting background plants, so I'm leaning on adding some stem plants to the tank. I like the look of that Bacopa. What other stems plants typically do well in low lighting? Hygro has never done well in my tank, so I'd like to avoid that species. Ludwigia sp. does so-so as well. AR did well in my high tech setup with the exception of algae issues. Limno. aromatica did very well with my water, so if there are any easy Limno plants, I'd be interested.

Lindernia rotundifolia grows well in low light and looks very similar to bacopa.

I can get you a few emersed stems if you want to try them. Im not sure how well they convert to submersed though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit: I found a nice contrast plant for the background: Giant Hairgrass. I think I'll try to get that plant, along with some Crypt Balansae and Dwarf Sag for the grass-like plants for this tank.

Updated Scape:

The driftwood is not better located, and the sword is now in the left corner. I'll move the Bronze wendtii in a week or so out of the right corner and next to one of the driftwood pieces.

Some plants that will be added to tank in the future:

Crypt pontederiifolia
Crypt balansae
Anubias nana petite
Anubias nana gold
Anubias coffeefolia
Dwarf Sag
Echinodorus opacus verde, or another sword that stays small for the midground
Red Tiger Lotus?

I also plan on adding small, smooth black lava rock so there will be enough room for all that Anubias.

If you have any interest in Bacopa, let me know. It grows fairly well in both my tanks (high tech 29 and low tech 10).

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

If you have any interest in Bacopa, let me know. It grows fairly well in both my tanks (high tech 29 and low tech 10).

+1 I have it in a high tech and low tech and it grows nicely.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1 I have it in a high tech and low tech and it grows nicely.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the offer RadMax, but I think I'll stick to the original plan: no stems or mosses. I do, however, have an idea of how to separate the Red Flame Sword from the Crypt balansae. What about Giant Hairgrass? It should be easier to grow than the dwarf variety, plus with CO2, it should grow nicely, albeit more slowly than in a high light environment. If there is anything that sk3lly taught me about low light, it's that you can grow much more with pressurized CO2.

Great points on the use of CO2 in lower light. No, it's not needed but you get much more out of your plants with it.
Good discipline on the plant exclusions. I have a moss and algae only tank. With some floaters. Oh, the algae includes subwassertang and red moss.

2 new leaves are popping out of the green Buce Brownie, and 1 is growing out of the Buce Catherinae. Please let this not be a fluke!! I'm hoping I'll get a surprise out of the Brownie Ghost 2015 and Brownie Purple.

Great points on the use of CO2 in lower light. No, it's not needed but you get much more out of your plants with it.
Good discipline on the plant exclusions. I have a moss and algae only tank. With some floaters. Oh, the algae includes subwassertang and red moss.

I agree with Fresh on the discipline. I'm not so strong.
Tank is looking good and I'm thinking of starting a low light too so I'm watching this one for sure. ?

I agree with Fresh on the discipline. I'm not so strong.
Tank is looking good and I'm thinking of starting a low light too so I'm watching this one for sure. ?

Thanks! I hope to make a good example out of this tank.

I'm going to get some Echinodous parviflorus for the midground. Swords have always grown well in my tank, so why not try a dwarf variety? I also like Echinodorus Vesuvius over Corkscrew Val, so I'm going to try to hunt down these two swords.

Has anyone ever bought from aquabid before? If so, do you know any of the good sellers (plant wise)?

Has anyone ever bought from aquabid before? If so, do you know any of the good sellers (plant wise)?

I've have not purchased from AquaBid before but I love browsing for good deals.
Two of the three plants you mentioned are available at aquariumplants.com (not the Vesuvius) as bare root specimens. You may want to check out the tissue culture section. Tons of plants there. You could always shoot them an email explaining that you have a low light setup and that are looking for non-stem tissue culture plants (looking for recommendations). I have found responses from them to be prompt and attentive.

I've have not purchased from AquaBid before but I love browsing for good deals.
Two of the three plants you mentioned are available at aquariumplants.com (not the Vesuvius) as bare root specimens. You may want to check out the tissue culture section. Tons of plants there. You could always shoot them an email explaining that you have a low light setup and that are looking for non-stem tissue culture plants (looking for recommendations). I have found responses from them to be prompt and attentive.

I contacted an Aquabid seller who has a wide variety of plants. Hopefully I'll get somewhere with this. If not, I'll take a look at aquariumplants.com.

Back
Top Bottom