Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Planted Odyssey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Low-Light Tank

I think it's time for a picture update . . . with new camera angles!

FTS

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The Brownie Ghost is starting to gain some color.

Update: I'm tossing the Ista Max Mix in the trash, and I'll be getting a Rex Griggs reactor from a TPT member--you can get anything over there! The benefits: my filter flow will improve, there will be more CO2 dissolution, and the chance of a leak decreases. Also, I'll be getting a new heater. I think 8 years with one heater in two different setups calls for an upgrade. I'll also be adding 6 or so Cheery Barbs or Checkered Barbs to the tank.

Here's a link to the reactor: http://nilocg.com/rex-grigg-style-co2-reactor-standard-version/

If anyone needs a good reactor and can't make one, this is a good route to take. The Ista Max Mix just dumbed down my flow too much (I sound hip here haha), and it's not well built.

Were the drop checkers green-yellow/green with Ista Mix Max? What BPS were you running at? I'm thinking that the CO2 demand would be less with decreased lighting. But I understand wanting to increase flow.

Were the drop checkers green-yellow/green with Ista Mix Max? What BPS were you running at? I'm thinking that the CO2 demand would be less with decreased lighting. But I understand wanting to increase flow.

The drop checker is a light green with the Max Mix. It dissolved well for the most part, but I'm afraid it will eventually leak as the bottom unscrews. I only have to run 1.5-2 bps with the Max Mix. The bps number may decrease slightly with the new reactor.

The Rex grigg sounds like a more secure solution. And more effective at CO2 distribution. You could probably drop down to 1 bps and still get green DCs.
I know clear PVC is costly but I'm always curious as to what's actually going on in those style of reactors.

I got some RCS. I got a couple to see how they'll do. It's cool to have some inverts again though.

Today I got 6 Neon Blue Daisy's Ricefish. They're pretty unique. We'll see how they do.

Don't make me google this (too late). Very attractive fish. Pics when you can.

Haha! These fish are camera shy, but I got a photo of one of them.

Edit: Well, two of them if you look at the left side of the photo.

I'm having second thoughts about getting the reactor. For one, I don't want to restrict my filter flow anymore. The water hasn't seemed that clear with my current reactor ever since I got it, and I don't want to risk it with a different reactor. Secondly, I won't have tons and tons of bubbles flowing with an atomizer since this is a low maintenance tank. I'm thinking of just rigging up the old GLA atomizer again.

I'm having second thoughts about getting the reactor. For one, I don't want to restrict my filter flow anymore. The water hasn't seemed that clear with my current reactor ever since I got it, and I don't want to risk it with a different reactor. Secondly, I won't have tons and tons of bubbles flowing with an atomizer since this is a low maintenance tank. I'm thinking of just rigging up the old GLA atomizer again.

For clarity you could try adding a pouch of Purigen to your filter. It did wonders in my shrimp tank (water removed each week used t look like weak iced tea). In both my tanks I swapped the sponge for floss in my AC50 and that has helped remove finer particles.
I'm still using a Fluval ceramic diffuser with good results; pretty sure that GLA atomizer is much, much more efficient.

For clarity you could try adding a pouch of Purigen to your filter. It did wonders in my shrimp tank (water removed each week used t look like weak iced tea). In both my tanks I swapped the sponge for floss in my AC50 and that has helped remove finer particles.
I'm still using a Fluval ceramic diffuser with good results; pretty sure that GLA atomizer is much, much more efficient.

Purigen sounds nice. I might give it a shot. I'll buy a new heater, along with a new dosing bottle so I can dose nitrate and phosphate separately (guilty ?).

Edit: I can replace the fine media bad with purigen. Should I keep my carbon media pad?

Update: The Daisy's Ricefish are all still alive and appear to be doing well. Their color is improved and they are pretty calm, and I bet they'd be a good fish for some of you nano and smaller tank folks.

Update: The Vesuvius Sword is still melting away like crazy, but still remains green. I might replace it with Vallisneria. I'll give it a couple more weeks to impress me. The twisty leaves, to me, distract from the Crypts in front of them.

I stopped dosing nitrate, and upped phosphate to prevent GSA on the Anubias. More Anubias will be added in upcoming weeks. I might decrease lighting by 10% so that I can make this system a bit more low energy--that means decreasing flow a tinge for my fish, even slower growth of the plants, and a low CO2 setting. I think they'd be happier without the powerhead though. I might add a smaller powerhead instead (~100 GPH for a total of ~220 GPH of flow in this tank).

Update: The powerhead will be kept. I'm seriously considering Val and a background Crypt to replace the Vesuvius. More Anubias will be placed in the tank. I also reduced lighting to 40%. Otherwise, everything else is growing fine, and the fish are doing well.

By the way, one of my RCS has green eggs. I think that it's unique.

The Vals would look nice in the rear left where the Vesuvius are. As they get taller they may get pushed forward by the current produced by the spray bar.
I usually see yellow but on occasion green eggs on the RCS.

Back
Top Bottom