Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Planted Odyssey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Low-Light Tank

The Vals would look nice in the rear left where the Vesuvius are. As they get taller they may get pushed forward by the current produced by the spray bar.
I usually see yellow but on occasion green eggs on the RCS.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm leaning on adding Crypt undulata and Val nana (a nice, thin Val) for the background, and ditching the Marsilea for Downoi (I know, I'd be breaking the no stem rule). I've seen accounts of Downoi being grown in low light before, so I know it's possible! I have a spare $25 gift card laying around that needs to be spent, and I have nothing to spend it on . . . hmmm ?

A minor rescape is about to go down. Inspiration came to me, and it involves Needle Leaf Java Fern. I'd like to focus the driftwood on this Java Fern, with the Anubias accenting it. I admire Java Fern tanks like this To accomplish this, the driftwood may need to be tweaked, but most of the plants will remain in the same position. This should bring a greater focal point to the tank.

I ordered some Narrow Leaf Java Fern to place in the background, along with more petite Anubias--it will be placed on driftwood branches. The Anubias farm has expanded haha. The Vesuvius is starting to perk up, so I'm holding off on Val for a little while longer.

Remember with such low light tanks, fert dosing really can be lean. I dose 2ml per week of each standard EI solution and do 2X 50% water change with no ill effects of deficiencies on my plants

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Since I moved, set up new tanks, my dosing has gone down quite a bit. I do not run any highlight tanks and I do about 1ml/gal after wc, dry dose the micro lean.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Remember with such low light tanks, fert dosing really can be lean. I dose 2ml per week of each standard EI solution and do 2X 50% water change with no ill effects of deficiencies on my plants

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Since I moved, set up new tanks, my dosing has gone down quite a bit. I do not run any highlight tanks and I do about 1ml/gal after wc, dry dose the micro lean.

I don't even dose nitrate anymore, as the fish can supply that. I upped the phosphate in response to some GSA on Anubias leaves, but maybe I need to power down my light a bit more. I currently have the Finnex Planted+ 24/7 at 50%. What is your PAR rating, Sk3lly?

No idea of PAR but i could work it out one day. I know my BML is only run at 25% for 6 hours though

I.keep the 24/7 @ about 40%. Sk3lly is probably at about 30-40par.

My bml is also 26" above substrate. Still growing a DHG carpet though. My plants are now entirely crypts, anubias or buces

I'll follow through in my earlier mention of lowering the lighting to 40%. I'll be putting my atomizer back into the tank in about a week once I get new Eheim tubing. The reactor traps too much gas, and is not to my liking. The atomizer should correct things, plus flow will increase where the Anubias is.

No FTS shots today as I have the Anubias and Narrow Leaf Java Fern in awkward positions for the time being. Here's some shots of the fish though, and some plants too!

Spot the RCSA Daisy's Ricefish is showing off some blueThe Buces have firmly rooted in by now

Don't be ashamed of awkward plants :) These are great pics. Sounds like your have reached that place, tank maintenance wise, where you are comfortable and are getting good results. Kudos.

Don't be ashamed of awkward plants :) These are great pics. Sounds like your have reached that place, tank maintenance wise, where you are comfortable and are getting good results. Kudos.

Thanks! As soon as I get in a massive Foster and Smith order in, I'll reveal the almost finished scape. I just need to toss out the rest of the Vesuvius for some Val. I ordered some purigen as you suggested long ago. It'll replace the carbon pads and get rid of those finer particles.

The Crypt Metallic Affinis Red just won't get going, so I'm thinking of replacing it with Crypt pontederiifolia. Thoughts?

Update: I'm going to actually dump the powerhead this time around. My fish will be much more comfortable as a result. I also want to add a clan of Threadfin Rainbowfish. If anyone remembers, I had a group of 8 a year and a half ago; I currently have one. They don't appreciate strong flow. I can't see a drop in flow negatively harming the tank if I keep up on water changes. I'll be adding an Eheim Skim 350 for a little added flow, which will allow my tank circulation to be 5-6x. This should suffice with the plants that I have. CO2 will be on a low setting, so high flow isn't necessarily needed.

I have never seen one of these amazon swords before. The fact that this strain stay "mini" means they sell for a pretty penny, at least in my city. Gorgeous looking plant!

Thanks! I got it as a freebie with the other sword in the tank, so I can't specify to what variety it is. The Red Hadi Sword was sold to me for $5, which is a nice deal considering its size and nice coloration.

It might be Echinodorus Parviflorus "tropica". Its definitely a nice find considering the size of most swords.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of equipment changes are coming next weekend. I'll be adding a new heater, a new adjustable powerhead (just enough flow to get rid of dead spots and keep fish happy), new Eheim filter tubing, plus I'll be taking out the reactor for the atomizer. I'll also be gluing down plants. Pictures to come next weekend.

Back
Top Bottom