Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Planted Odyssey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Low-Light Tank

Quick photo of a Buce. It has developed an awesome coloration through age. One of the leaves has a blue tint! This shows that low light tanks can have colorful and lush plant growth, and be easy and low maintenance at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My buces mostly melted away... Whats your secret???

Anyway, they look nice!

Is that the beginning of a flower I see?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buces are something I may to try. Slow growth, colorful foliage. Sounds like you've got it figured out.

Has anyone ever grown lagenandra? To me It resembles a cross between bucephalandra and Anubis but I think it is closely related to a crypt.

My buces mostly melted away... Whats your secret???

Anyway, they look nice!

Is that the beginning of a flower I see?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just ferts 2-3 times a week (PPS-Pro), low pressurized CO2, and weekly water changes of ~40%. Mine almost completely melted away, but somehow they came back. I think Buces favor low light tanks the best.

Buces are something I may to try. Slow growth, colorful foliage. Sounds like you've got it figured out.

They are frustrating at first, but once they get going, they are an awesome plant.

Has anyone ever grown lagenandra? To me It resembles a cross between bucephalandra and Anubis but I think it is closely related to a crypt.

This species is new to me. They look like cool plants. I'll have to research them.

Got the new heater, new powerhead, and the atomizer back in the tank. Filter flow is much more improved, and the new powerhead suits the fish well. I have the powerhead flow at about 80 GPH to give an overall flow rate of ~200 GPH, rather than the 13x turnover rate that it was before. The fish are actively swimming at all areas of the tank. Word of advice to all: the Hydor Nano 240 is not good for fish who appreciate slower flow, unless extra circulation is needed in a large tank. I also glued down the Anubias. Pics to come later tonight.

Update Pictures:

FTS:

I took out the Crypt Metallic Affinis Red and Echinodorus Vesuvius. Neither were producing new growth, and the sword was just melting. One option is to put the Narrow Leaf Java Fern in the left corner by the heater, or place it behind the Anubias patch. Any thoughts? I'll get some type of Val, along with a small Cryptocoryne to go in front of the Crypt parva. Stay tuned!

Equipment and setup specification update:

Filtration and water movement: Eheim 2213 canister filter and Hydor Centrifugal Pump 600 for gentle added flow (at 80 GPH). Total water turnover rate is at 6x.

Water change schedule: Once weekly ~30-40%

Ferts: PPS-Pro dosed twice-thrice a week, plenty of root tabs

CO2: GLA GRO CO2 System with atomizer

Light fixture: Finnex Planted+ 24/7 dimmed to 40% and not on 24/7 mode; on for 7 hours a day.

Fish/inverts: 10 Harlequin Rasboras, 1 Gold Honey Dwarf Gourami, 5 Kuhli Loaches, RCS. More additions to come. I gave my Daisy's Ricefish to a coworker of mine who has a sponge filter and low flow; these fish don't handle flow well.

Plants: Anubias sp. 'Coffeefolia', Anubias Nana 'Gold', Anubias Nana, Anubias nana 'petite', Crypt wendtii 'Bronze', Crypt parva, Dwarf Hairgrass, Marsilea minuta, Dwarf Sag, "Rooster tail" Java Fern, Narrow Leaf Java Fern, Buce Brownie Ghost 2015, Buce Brownie Helena, Buce Catherine, Hadi Pearl Red Sword, and Echinodorus horizontalis 'mini'

Further plant additions (possibilities): Tiger Val, Red Wendtii, Crypt pontederiifolia, etc.

Further fish additions (possibilities): Oto catfish, Checkered Barb, Threadfin Rainbowfish, Cheery Barb, Lemon Tetra, Emperor Tetra, Red Phantom Tetra, Flower Shrimp or Mexican Orange Dwarf Crayfish (if the RCS don't survive)

Got some Cheery Barbs and Otocinclus Catfish.

Final Stock (unless something dies):

4 Otocinclus Catfish
5 Kuhli Loaches
10 Harlequin Rasboras
8 Cheery Barbs
1 Gold Honey Gourami
RCS (if they're still alive--haven't seen any in a week but they are hard to spot most of the time)

Got some Cheery Barbs and Otocinclus Catfish.

Final Stock (unless something dies):

4 Otocinclus Catfish
5 Kuhli Loaches
10 Harlequin Rasboras
8 Cheery Barbs
1 Gold Honey Gourami
RCS (if they're still alive--haven't seen any in a week but they are hard to spot most of the time)

I have been looking at pontederiifolia too but sourcing it around here is proving difficult. Ebay (UK) has plenty but I don't trust the sellers. It is a gorgeous plant so I'll eager to see how they do in your setup.

As for your RCS if they're not active that means they're hiding out of fear, or so I've read and been told. But with that said, your stocking seems to be quite shrimp safe so that's a bit of a mystery. How many did you put in there?

It's all looking really good and I really like your use of space. Do you have any plans for the far left of the tank?

I have been looking at pontederiifolia too but sourcing it around here is proving difficult. Ebay (UK) has plenty but I don't trust the sellers. It is a gorgeous plant so I'll eager to see how they do in your setup.

As for your RCS if they're not active that means they're hiding out of fear, or so I've read and been told. But with that said, your stocking seems to be quite shrimp safe so that's a bit of a mystery. How many did you put in there?

It's all looking really good and I really like your use of space. Do you have any plans for the far left of the tank?

I only have 3 RCS, so that may explain it. I added some Italian Val, and I am going to add some Crypts in front of it eventually.

Anyway, here's a few pictures of the new fish:

I have been thinking about the foreground, and I'm just not satisfied with it. The Dwarf Hairgrass and the Marsilea aren't doing anything of note, so I'm considering adding Downoi and/or S. repens.

I'm a big fan of Staur repens. Not too demanding and it stays put (no runners).

I'm a big fan of Staur repens. Not too demanding and it stays put (no runners).

I'd certainly like to give it a shot again. I had some a year ago, but it withered away during an algae bloom.

Here's the plan of attack guys:

I'm going to replace the Marsilea and DHG with Downoi and Staurogyne repens. Next, I'll place a backdrop of Italian Val behind the driftwood, and a stem plant will be placed in the left corner. Any low light stem plant recommendations for the background that are colorful? Bacopa caroliniana, Ludwigia repens, and Rotala rotundifolia come to mind. Any other options? Next, I'll place a Crypt in front of this stem plant.

It's been a week since I got the Cheery Barbs, and I've got to say, it was a good decision. They are vibrant against the greenery of the tank. The Otos, on the other hand, have not been successful. 3 of the 4 have died. I might just pick up some Nerite Snails.

I was thinking about adding either Blyxa japonica or Lobelia cardinalis 'dwarf' to the midground in front of the Crypt parva, and then, utilizing Crypt undulata or Crypt lutea as a background plant. Thoughts? I'd also like to incorporate a Red Tiger Lotus into this scape.

I was thinking about adding either Blyxa japonica or Lobelia cardinalis 'dwarf' to the midground in front of the Crypt parva, and then, utilizing Crypt undulata or Crypt lutea as a background plant. Thoughts? I'd also like to incorporate a Red Tiger Lotus into this scape.

I would prefer to see the blyxa and the c.lutea in your scape.

I would prefer to see the blyxa and the c.lutea in your scape.

Sounds like a plan. Hopefully the Crypt lutea will serve as an effective background plant. I've noticed that you grow rather nice Downoi in your tank. Have you had any troubles with it in your setup because of the lighting?

Back
Top Bottom