Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Planted Odyssey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Low-Light Tank

According to my plant app C.lutea doesn't normally exceed 10-15cm. I think I have this crypt too. Was struggling to pinpoint what exactly is was. Would that be tall enough for a background plant?

I've not really had to do much to keep the downoi thriving. I would have said its one of those plants anyone can grow but I've heard numerous stories now where it has melted away in others tanks. It did sulk a bit at the lower light as it was under T5HO originally but it over that now and growing just as before. I've noticed that if you can get noticeable movement on the leaves via good flow it really starts to grow but that could be said for all plants. I've just propagated it again. It's starting to fill in nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

According to my plant app C.lutea doesn't normally exceed 10-15cm. I think I have this crypt too. Was struggling to pinpoint what exactly is was. Would that be tall enough for a background plant?

I've not really had to do much to keep the downoi thriving. I would have said its one of those plants anyone can grow but I've heard numerous stories now where it has melted away in others tanks. It did sulk a bit at the lower light as it was under T5HO originally but it over that now and growing just as before. I've noticed that if you can get noticeable movement on the leaves via good flow it really starts to grow but that could be said for all plants. I've just propagated it again. It's starting to fill in nicely.

Oer! What plant app do you have?

Yeah, I'll probably skip out on the C. lutea. I'd like to add more height to the back of the tank, so I'm going to do a rescape--might be small or it might be large. Don't know what I'm going to do yet. I'm going to plan for about two weeks, then I'll report back. The tank will stay low light though.

For a day or two, I was considering upgrading the light to medium for the sake of some stem plants. I then got to some thinking, and completely scrapped the idea. Now, I'm going to do a mini rescape. Nothing major, with the exception of some plant changes, and I'll have to move the Red Hadi Sword (not looking forward to that). To add height to the back, I'll be adding easy stems such as Bacopa caroliniana and Rotala rotundifolia/Hygro of some type. Also, as a challenge, I'm going to see if I can add a red touch in terms of Ludwigia sp. red. When I had it in high tech, it didn't even establish, which I believe is due to its touchiness with shipping. I'm also going to reduce the amount of Anubias (further shading for algae prevention), and increase the amount of Rooster Tail Java Fern. I'll be doing this very soon--in a week or two.

For a day or two, I was considering upgrading the light to medium for the sake of some stem plants. I then got to some thinking, and completely scrapped the idea. Now, I'm going to do a mini rescape. Nothing major, with the exception of some plant changes, and I'll have to move the Red Hadi Sword (not looking forward to that). To add height to the back, I'll be adding easy stems such as Bacopa caroliniana and Rotala rotundifolia/Hygro of some type. Also, as a challenge, I'm going to see if I can add a red touch in terms of Ludwigia sp. red. When I had it in high tech, it didn't even establish, which I believe is due to its touchiness with shipping. I'm also going to reduce the amount of Anubias (further shading for algae prevention), and increase the amount of Rooster Tail Java Fern. I'll be doing this very soon--in a week or two.

I've Just stuck the T5HO fixture back on my tank. The T8's were ok but growth was painfully slow. Now I know what I'm doing I should see some good results.

I like the rotala and the ludwigia and they are less 'weedy' than hygro. I think a nice bunch of rotala in one corner would suit your tank well. Dare I try it myself? Hmm.

Do you know what PAR you are running at roughly? I've been reading quite a bit and Tom Barr says that 40 PAR at substrate level is 'very low light'. That's why I stuck the other fixture back on.

Also is that a power head you are using to distribute co2 and nutrients or is it for surface ripple? How is your flow dynamics set up? Seems getting good flow around the mid section would prove quite a task.

Do you know what PAR you are running at roughly? I've been reading quite a bit and Tom Barr says that 40 PAR at substrate level is 'very low light'. That's why I stuck the other fixture back on.

Also is that a power head you are using to distribute co2 and nutrients or is it for surface ripple? How is your flow dynamics set up? Seems getting good flow around the mid section would prove quite a task.

I would say that my PAR is around 30ish. I've read that 20 PAR is a minimum, but there are many different thoughts on which PAR levels are which level of lighting. The powerhead is meant to increase flow on the right side of tank. It is aimed at the back wall so that flow will be similar to the flow of the spray bar in terms of horizontal movement. Overall flow is around 9x, but it is gentle enough for the fish. I have the spray bar at the middle left side so that the middle and the left side get adequate flow. I'll have to read up on Tom Barr's thoughts on PAR.

Thanks for the link. I think 40 PAR is better for stem plants and foreground plants. I read somewhere that Barr said that any plant can be grown at 50 PAR. I believe that medium lighting is a good level to be at if one wants a variety of plants. I'm not a big fan of high lighting as the constant struggle against algae takes the fun out of the hobby. If I would happen to want some harder stems, all I would have to do is increase my light to 60-70% (or possibly try 24/7 mode). Since I'll be getting rid of a bunch of my Anubias for more Java Fern, medium lighting or low lighting both remain options.

Thanks for the link. I think 40 PAR is better for stem plants and foreground plants. I read somewhere that Barr said that any plant can be grown at 50 PAR. I believe that medium lighting is a good level to be at if one wants a variety of plants. I'm not a big fan of high lighting as the constant struggle against algae takes the fun out of the hobby. If I would happen to want some harder stems, all I would have to do is increase my light to 60-70% (or possibly try 24/7 mode). Since I'll be getting rid of a bunch of my Anubias for more Java Fern, medium lighting or low lighting both remain options.

Yes I remember that comment. It was something like 40 or perhaps 50 (at substrate level) as you say, was enough for beginners and veterans alike.

Better to keep your options open.

Time for a change in the thread's title! This tank will now be at medium light with many stem plants. I'll have Rotala macrandra and Downoi on its way soon. The scape will be more colorful, and at the same time, not too hard to take care of. I couldn't stay away from high tech in the end, but low light was fun while it lasted (plants options were restricted though). The Trident Java Fern, Buces, Dwarf Hairgrass, Val, and Hadi Red Pearl Sword were all kept.

The dark side calls you...
If you are up for Staur repens, I have quite a bit to unload. I have several AR mini "bottoms" and "middles"; I trimmed and replanted the only the AR mini tips. They will resprout growing tips, however, I have no room to plant these. Some Rotala colorata as well.

The dark side calls you...
If you are up for Staur repens, I have quite a bit to unload. I have several AR mini "bottoms" and "middles"; I trimmed and replanted the only the AR mini tips. They will resprout growing tips, however, I have no room to plant these. Some Rotala colorata as well.

PM sent! This tank should be planted up again relatively fast. Just got to get in two more orders!

This will end up looking just like your last tank lol

Haha! Yeah, pretty much--except for a few different plants and the hardscape placement and shape. As Fresh said, the dark side calls me ?.

The tank is now 65% planted. I added Limno aromatica, Ludwigia sp. red, Lobelia cardinalis "mini", Blyxa japonica, and Ammania bonsai. Pics to come later.

FTS:

More plants will be added as the week goes on. I plan on splitting up the Trident Java Fern so that it will fill the entire driftwood piece. Rotala macrandra, Downoi, S. repens, AR mini, and Pogo erectus will be added to finish out the scape.

Pretty soon you won't be able to see the substrate.
Plants are on their way....

Back
Top Bottom