Fishless Cycle--Done

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Day 24

Ammonia- 0
Nitrite-1.5 grrr
Nitrate-Incorrect
pH-7.2

On a happy note my backround came, I am about to check it out. Also, Neilan, I remember we were talking aout if my filter would be efficient for my tank...well yes, I came home today and my water is crystal clear.

You seem to be stuck on 1.5 for an awful long time. I would like to try and rule a few things out.

- Test your tap water and see what your nitrate is there.

- If it is lower consider doing another, bigger PWC.

- If you tap water tests at 1.5 consider testing another source. Bottled water or distilled water. This would just be to rule out the possibility that your test or testing method is flawed.

Okay, I tested my tap and it is a big fat 0. (Wish my tank water was :) ).

I don't have time to do a PWC tonight, so if the nitrite is not down by the time I return from school tomorrow, I guess I'll do a pretty large PWC.

Day 25.

Ammo-0
Nitrite- 1.5
pH-7.1

.............................................................................:-(

Alright, so presumable since you're dosing 2ppm of ammonia, you're converting ~2ppm of nitrIte. If you skip dosing, which I would today, you *should* zero out your nitrite, and continue being able to convert 2ppm in <24 hours.

I don't think it's a deficiency, but it might not hurt to add a little more phosphates from either a few drops of pH down or some more fish food.

Ok Neilan, I am going to skip dosing. Those nitrites better be 0 by the time I test tomorrow.

Day 26.

*Huge sigh, can be heard from China*

Ammo-0
Nitrite- Should I even bother typing it?
Nitrate-Didn't test
pH-7.2

I can't figure it out.

you dose ammonia, NO2 doesn't move... you skip dosing, NO2 doesn't move. What in the world is going on?

I have been searching and searching through google and cannot find anything that is similar to mine. The only thing I find that is similar to what is happening to me is your cycle of course. However, you skipped dosing and your NO2 went down, so I have no friggin clue.

Just some thoughts here:

If you can not get your nitrite to go down naturally, why not do a pwc?

You tested your tap water and it read zero, this would suggest that your test is working at least at some level. So if you believe that your nitrite is really 1.5 (I'm not sure I do) then diluting it should logically reduce it's concentration. If something in your tank water is causing the nitrite reading to be inaccurate, you would also dilute that contaminant as well.

Personally I think at this point, I would take the water down to the substrate and refill it. Then dose and watch.

It would also not hurt to take a sample of water to your LFS and ask them to test it for you.

Take 1 cup of water from your tank. Pour it into a clean container, add 1 cup of tap water, then test. if you get a reading of 1.0 or higher then your test kit is at fault.

So far you have tried a 50% PWC and it hasn't affected it. so taking away everything that is in the tank and diluting it will help pinpoint whether it's the water, test kit, or something in your tank.. In either case it should have been converted to nitrAte by now, unless it's got a continuous source (something rotting).. But a simple test regardless.

Back
Top Bottom