fishless cycling journal!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i would advise against using fish food of any kind for an ammonia source. it's super messy and inconsistent at best. if you can't find pure ammonia, buy 2 or 3 raw shrimp from the grocery store, and float them in some panty hose in your tank. they will take a couple days to start producing ammonia, but it will be a bit more consistent than fish food and a LOT less messy.

no. i mean the kind of shrimp that you or i would eat. you can get a few raw ones from the seafood section at the grocery store.

i think ill use my brine shrimp or bloodworms in a plastic bag with wholes but i might be able to use pure bc my grandpa said there's an ace hardware near him

If you use nylons, make sure they've not been washed, as they can carry soap traces.

Used nylons are fine IME, just make sure you wash them in really hot water for a while. The ones I get from my GF for peat soakers haven't been an issue.

Ah, okay. Maybe what I heard was that you shouldn't wash them first, then use them immediately after.

Rosenweiss said:
Ah, okay. Maybe what I heard was that you shouldn't wash them first, then use them immediately after.

Even if they're brand new, wash them since there's still debris from mfg on them. As far as that goes, anything you get new (tank, filter, decco, etc) should be wash really well in hot water.

Even if they're brand new, wash them since there's still debris from mfg on them. As far as that goes, anything you get new (tank, filter, decco, etc) should be wash really well in hot water.

All I meant was not to wash them with soap.

Back
Top Bottom