Fishless Cycling Question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Stephen Rollins said:
Ok here we go.

I took Down the tank after segueing with my wife about the expense. She then came to here senses and allowed me to put it. Back together.

I started it back up on the 3 rd. I changed to using ceramic rings in my filter vs the carbon I had in it.
I dosed it to 4 ppm.

After a few days I noticed my nitrites were up to 5 ppm and nitrates were at 40 ppm

On Monday my ammonia was zero nitrites zero and nitrates 40 ppm. I dosed it to 4 ppm. Yesterday I was at ph 8.2 ammonia 2 ppm nitrites 0 and nitrates 40.

Today's reedings were ph 8.0 ammonia 1 ppm nitrites 0 and nitrates 40

Sounds familiar! My husband wants the tanks gone now that theres a pond.... I just keeping ignoring him! Anyway, so this is recycling from scratch if you took the tank down? Its not doing too badly considering this! Ok, we need to keep an eye on your ph (starting to slide down) over the next few days- it may be time for a water change soon if this continues. Lets just add 2ppm ammonia tonight & see where things go tomorrow. It will give me a better idea on how things are moving over a 24hr period. :)

Dear mrs JLK. LOL

after adding 2ppm of ammonia last night and already having 1 ppm in it. Today's results are as followed.

PH ; 7.4 ( I know what your going to say " time for a 100% water change , right ? )

Ammonia ; .25 ppm
Nitrite ; 0 ppm
Nitrates : 40-80 ppm

Time for a water change right ?

Still wearied that there are no nitrites when 3-4 days ago I had 5

No nitrites, no big deal! Even restarting your cycle, it's not following the same path as before. You have lots of nitrates! Let's see how things progress. Yes, when you have time, a water change is needed. If its not tonight, no big deal. You can go ahead & dose 2ppm if you don't have time. Though expect your ph to be lower tomorrow. Just keep us posted, Mr. Rollins! :)

I'm going to go ahead and do a 100 % water change tonight. I'm also going to add my driftwood that has been soaking for the last two weeks. This should be ok right?

Anywho. Better get started. Large WC take time ya know. Lol

As long as the dw isn't releasing crazy tannins, it should be fine. If it is, soak it longer because you don't want to intentionally drop your ph while cycling. :)

jlk said:
As long as the dw isn't releasing crazy tannins, it should be fine. If it is, soak it longer because you don't want to intentionally drop your ph while cycling. :)

The driftwood hasn't released any tannins in 2 days. I've been changing the water in the drift wood bin every day

JLK : here are my readings for this evening.

Last night I did a 100% water change and added my drift wood

PH : 7.4 ( usually 8.0-8.2 ) ( did the driftwood do this )

Ammonia : 0
Nitrites : 0
Nitrates 40

Should I dose to 4 ppm tonight

Today is mind boggling

PH : 7.8
AMMONIA : 1 ppm
NITRITE : 0 ppm
NITRATE : 40 ppm

What to make of this

JLK IM LOST

Ph doesn't concern me too much. Your bb are just not quite ready for a larger dose of amm yet. No big deal. Go back to 2 for tonight (so total is 3) & we see how things look tomorrow. :)

Back
Top Bottom