Fishless Cycling Question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, is day 3 or 4 of steady zeroes (I know your keeping track!)?? I am a bit surprised your nitrates haven't been steadily increasing but I have seen this before and I have yet to find a scientific explanation for this beyond plants or frequent water changes. Let's dose for one more night and then let me know when your ready to prep for fish! :)

jlk said:
So, is day 3 or 4 of steady zeroes (I know your keeping track!)?? I am a bit surprised your nitrates haven't been steadily increasing but I have seen this before and I have yet to find a scientific explanation for this beyond plants or frequent water changes. Let's dose for one more night and then let me know when your ready to prep for fish! :)

This is day 2 of steady zeros. I don't have any live plants.

I'll dose it again tonight.

What do you mean by prep for fish ?

Thanks! I knew you didn't have any plants (unless you snuck them in without telling anyone!). Let's go for another two days of steady zeroes. Make sure you are really shaking & banging those nitrate bottles. If all is well, you can prep your tank for fish the night before you plan on purchasing your new friends. I'll fill you in on the details tomorrow. Is the temp in your tank turned up? :)

jlk said:
Thanks! I knew you didn't have any plants (unless you snuck them in without telling anyone!). Let's go for another two days of steady zeroes. Make sure you are really shaking & banging those nitrate bottles. If all is well, you can prep your tank for fish the night before you plan on purchasing your new friends. I'll fill you in on the details tomorrow. Is the temp in your tank turned up? :)

No I haven't snuck any in. Lol. I would tell you first. Lol and I do shake and bang the crap out of that #2 bottle. Lol. The temp has always stayed at 78 degrees. Seeings that my new friends need that temp of water.

Just checking on the nitrate test.... you know, that thing about directions! Lol. Anyway, that's great your temp is already where it needs to be- makes life a bit easier because you won't have to worry about your bb possibly being affected by a temp change. :)

jlk said:
Just checking on the nitrate test.... you know, that thing about directions! Lol. Anyway, that's great your temp is already where it needs to be- makes life a bit easier because you won't have to worry about your bb possibly being affected by a temp change. :)

Hey hey hey now. I read the directions after I screwed up. Lol

jlk said:
Just trying to stress the importance of reading directions occasionally.... :) :) :)

Haha. I just dosed with 8.5 ml of ammonia. I'm hopping to go to the LFS store to look at fish. If the rank is ready for it then I might get some fish this weekend or next. If I have to wait till next weekend do I keep dosing with ammonia every day ?

Yep, just continue with the amm until the night before fish (skip it & wc time!). You just need to keep an eye on your numbers until then. It looks like you have interesting assortment of fish your considering! Look forward to seeing pics when your all stocked! :)

jlk said:
Yep, just continue with the amm until the night before fish (skip it & wc time!). You just need to keep an eye on your numbers until then. It looks like you have interesting assortment of fish your considering! Look forward to seeing pics when your all stocked! :)

Oh did you see my stock list on the other thread here it is again.
Oh and I haven't replaced the media in my filter yet. I need to get it I want to use the ceramic type I hope when I change it it doesn't affect the bio filter.

Yep, wc is water change. I believe theres a sticky somewhere (i think the tech area) that explains the most commonly used acronyms. Ill go through tank prep tonight when I have a bit more free time! :)

jlk said:
Yep, wc is water change. I believe theres a sticky somewhere (i think the tech area) that explains the most commonly used acronyms. Ill go through tank prep tonight when I have a bit more free time! :)

Sweet thanks. TY FOR ALL YOUR HELP !!!

Day 17

I'm off work today. Just wanted to check this morning to see where I was at after dosing last night

Ph 8.0
Ammonia : 0
Nitrites : 0
Nitrates : 40

I should dose it again tonight right ?

Yep! You might as well stick to your work schedule times for dosing but thats great everything zeroed out well before the 24hr mark! :)

Oh did you see my stock list on the other thread here it is again.
Oh and I haven't replaced the media in my filter yet. I need to get it I want to use the ceramic type I hope when I change it it doesn't affect the bio filter.

Don't touch the filter media! lol The manufiacturers say to replace the media every x month(s) but don't do it. You can keep media until its literally falling apart which can take years. If/when you do need to change it out, just do a small portion at a time. You can add media at any time though.

What filter do you have and what size tank is it rated for? A good rule of thumb is to have at least double the filtration for your size tank.

For the nitrate test, I'd shake and bang BOTH bottles. For bottle #2 in particular you want to shake and bang it for at least 30 seconds, then shake (vigorously) the tube for a full 60 seconds then wait 5 minutes to take a reading.

I'm not a stocking expert but I think yours is doable. The denisoni's prefer cooler temps, but 78 might be ok for them. You're a bit heavy on the bottom though; the pleco, pandas, rams and eel are going to be at the bottom and if you get a male and female ram and they breed they're going to become a bit aggressive, plus they'll all be competing for food. Keep up with a good cleaning schedule; 50-60% weekly is advised along with regular substrate cleanings. Did you measure the tank? If I plug in a 58 gal tank into Aqadvisor I get different dimensions (36 x 18 x 21).

Reactions: jlk
librarygirl said:
Don't touch the filter media! lol The manufiacturers say to replace the media every x month(s) but don't do it. You can keep media until its literally falling apart which can take years. If/when you do need to change it out, just do a small portion at a time. You can add media at any time though.

What filter do you have and what size tank is it rated for? A good rule of thumb is to have at least double the filtration for your size tank.

For the nitrate test, I'd shake and bang BOTH bottles. For bottle #2 in particular you want to shake and bang it for at least 30 seconds, then shake (vigorously) the tube for a full 60 seconds then wait 5 minutes to take a reading.

I'm not a stocking expert but I think yours is doable. The denisoni's prefer cooler temps, but 78 might be ok for them. You're a bit heavy on the bottom though; the pleco, pandas, rams and eel are going to be at the bottom and if you get a male and female ram and they breed they're going to become a bit aggressive, plus they'll all be competing for food. Keep up with a good cleaning schedule; 50-60% weekly is advised along with regular substrate cleanings. Did you measure the tank? If I plug in a 58 gal tank into Aqadvisor I get different dimensions (36 x 18 x 21).

I have the marine land magnum 350 canister filter system. It's rated at 350 gallons an hr for up to 100 gallon aquarium.

The filter media I have in it now is black diamond premium activated carbon. Are you saying I don't have to change it ? I have been getting mixed reviews and was told to use the ceramic tube type instead. But if I can continue to use the carbon media then I will.

As far as the nitrate test is concerned, I do all the steps you mentioned except shake the # 1 bottle the instructions didn't say to do that just the # 2 bottle for 30 seconds then add and shake the tube for 1 min.

I'm still indecisive about the eel.
But I do have a question for you. When you say weekly 50 - 60 % water changes is that done all at once or split up ? What I mean is are you saying to empty 50 - 60 % at one time and refill with conditioned water ? Or do two 25-30% water changes within a couple days apart from each other? This I've not been able to understand.

My tank measures 48x15.5x17.5

jlk said:
Yep! You might as well stick to your work schedule times for dosing but thats great everything zeroed out well before the 24hr mark! :)

Yes I'm going to dose it at 7 pm in two hours. Like you said to stick to my work schedule. I was just checking this morning to see if in fact it would zero overnight :)

JLK are you still going to talk to me tonight about tank prep? If not no worries I'm not going to get any fish till next weekend anyways.

Back
Top Bottom