Fishwrangler's 75gal Salty Adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's a complete steal. I'd take that opportunity!

Pics of the shrimp :)

Caleb

I know! I'm going back to school in a few weeks so I'm not sure if I can keep the maintenance up on it.

I'll get a picture of him after acclimatization.

He's lucky that tank isn't in NY!:cool:
Have 2@ 16' enclosed trailers and will travel ,went NJ for a free 120 with 12k++ of receipts and equipment!!(y)
The candy cane is a pistol shrimp ..yes?

I don't see the large pincher that pistols have.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Got a candy cane shrimp from the lfs. One of the owners said he had a 125 gal reef ready, lights, skimmer, pump, sump, and stand and would sell it to me for $500! I really want it, but I have to save my money and not spend it.

I'd make a move like that today! If only it was here.

Here is the shrimp

The biggest issue with the 125 is my parents are moving in a few years, and I plan on finishing up college out where they move.

Here is the shrimp

The biggest issue with the 125 is my parents are moving in a few years, and I plan on finishing up college out where they move.

Sweet coral banded shrimp.

you could always take the tank and sell the contents. Just keep the tank and hardware so you can upgrade in a few years. Believe you said it was a reef, some of that coral will probably pay a good amount of what you spent on the set up.

Caleb

Nice Coral Banded shrimp!
Great choice for first shrimp!
They think they are the toughest things going,hence the other common name "boxer "shrimp.

Sweet coral banded shrimp.

you could always take the tank and sell the contents. Just keep the tank and hardware so you can upgrade in a few years. Believe you said it was a reef, some of that coral will probably pay a good amount of what you spent on the set up.

Caleb

Thats a coral banded? Thought it was a candy cane!

I have to call the guy and find out a little more about the tank and equipment. Don't know what brand anything is, how long the tank sat empty, etc.
He didn't say anything about corals just that it was already drilled, and had 2 corner overflows.

Nice Coral Banded shrimp!
Great choice for first shrimp!
They think they are the toughest things going,hence the other common name "boxer "shrimp.

Not my first shrimp, I bought a scarlet skunk and peppermint shrimp earlier this week.

Edit: forgot to mention that I moved the purple rock because I thought the goby was trapped underneath it, the goby was still alive and I shooed him away so I wouldn't trap him under the rock again.

Some folks say those coral banded shrimp can be a pain in the butt as they get big and hungry.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Some folks say those coral banded shrimp can be a pain in the butt as they get big and hungry.

I don't like the sound of that! Hopefully I won't have these issues or can fix them easily.

I'm going to order the BRS RODI filter this week. Does it come with all the filters and stuff I need to start using it?

yes they get big I had 2 around 3 inch the ones I had used to crawl up my arm when I was cleaning tank
as for a pain in the butt I never had any type of aggression
as long as they are well fed they are happy , they may look as if there trying to catch a fish but actually there great cleaners those long arms seem to freak out the novice aquarium keeper , but do not mix coral banded shrimp with a arrow crab they would fight till the death coral banded would be the winner
other than that there awesome shrimp

I'm going to order the BRS RODI filter this week. Does it come with all the filters and stuff I need to start using it?

I think they do!
You should order extras now so you don't have to pay extra shipping later and are prepared to change when needed.
What unit are you getting?
You will go through DI faster then anything else probably.
IMO the color changing resin is worth it!
Then have more of the higher micron filters to change more frequently and make the finer filters last longer(guess which ones are cheaper).

I think my coral banded and comet(marine betta) get it on every now and then!:cool:
I see the comet with a nipped fin here and there lately as they try to share the same caves in the 120.:eek:
Funny in the other tank neither of the two comets bothered him and he didn't bother anyone else.
Tough call on who is after who in this case but I'm betting on the comet!:brows:

I think they do!
You should order extras now so you don't have to pay extra shipping later and are prepared to change when needed.
What unit are you getting?
You will go through DI faster then anything else probably.
IMO the color changing resin is worth it!
Then have more of the higher micron filters to change more frequently and make the finer filters last longer(guess which ones are cheaper).

I think my coral banded and comet(marine betta) get it on every now and then!:cool:
I see the comet with a nipped fin here and there lately as they try to share the same caves in the 120.:eek:
Funny in the other tank neither of the two comets bothered him and he didn't bother anyone else.
Tough call on who is after who in this case but I'm betting on the comet!:brows:

I'm going to get the 4 stage 75gal/day system. I'll look into the extra filets for sure!

The red slime had spread and is making me very angry ?. Current is supposed to help with this algae, but this is growing on the first rock hit from the filter output!!!
I also have hair algae that is annoying me. In my fw tanks I use hydrogen peroxide to kill the hair algae, but not sure if I can use it in sw.

Well i won't be doing anything tonight. Tornado sirens going off and tornado warning on my phone.

I'm hoping to add a pistol shrimp tomorrow for my goby. Does anyone have any recommendations on a specific species?
I think my scarlet skunk died last night. Found his body just now, and I can't find him so I don't think its a molt. (See picture below)

What is this thing? Saw it crawling on my front glass last night
Dead shrimp or molt?

That is the molt of shrimp IMO(99% sure) and he is in there!:popcorn:
Looks like a limpet besides the feelers?
They are good and cool if it is!(y)
Could be some kind of "pod".
Moving fast like bug or slow like snail?

It's likely a molt :)

At least you didn't freak out thinking it was dead like I did :D I forgot they molted when I first got my shrimp.

Caleb

That is the molt of shrimp IMO(99% sure) and he is in there!:popcorn:
Looks like a limpet besides the feelers?
They are good and cool if it is!(y)
Could be some kind of "pod".
Moving fast like bug or slow like snail?

Ok. Now I just have to find him...
It was slower than a snail! Seemed like 2 hours and it only moved a few inches!!

Edit: Would the molt have the red markings on it? I did a google search and all molts seem to be transparent even if the shrimp is colored.

It's likely a molt :)

At least you didn't freak out thinking it was dead like I did :D I forgot they molted when I first got my shrimp.

Caleb

I did freak out though!! Then I remembered your molt mishap amd thought it could've been a molt

I'm hoping to add a pistol shrimp tomorrow for my goby. Does anyone have any recommendations on a specific species?
I think my scarlet skunk died last night. Found his body just now, and I can't find him so I don't think its a molt. (See picture below)

What is this thing? Saw it crawling on my front glass last night
Dead shrimp or molt?

Like a few others said, it's a molt.. the shrimp is most likely hiding out of site right now as when they molt they are very soft and vulnerable. They tend to hide for a few days while the body hardens

Sent from my SM-G925V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok, I'll keep my eye out for him. Just yesterday he was cleaning my hand after I added a piece of dry love tonga.

Back
Top Bottom