Fishwrangler's 75gal Salty Adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tested nitrates and ammonia finally. Both came back as 0, the trates may have been slightly higher, but I couldn't tell.

The female clown must have forgotten the lesson she learned earlier about staying away from the goby. Couldn't tell from the angel, but I think the goby bit her tail or anal fin.
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

RO filter is on its way. I would love to track it, but BRS wouldn't let me make an account unless I used their @domain.com reccomendation. I tried multiple email accounts to, and none if them worked. So hopefully by mid next week I'll have my filter

This tank is starting to give me a major headache-first the fish loss, then the scarlet skunk loss, then a hair algae outbreak(h2o2 doesn't seem to kill this stuff????!) then tracking the ro unit, and tonight my rw-8 isn't working.??
I have tried unplugging the power to controller cord, the controller to ph cord, cleaning the impeller, and the housing, but I can't get this thing to stay on. I was able to get it to work for a few seconds after I cleaned the impeller the first time but then it quit.? Second cleaning I got it to work for 30 seconds, but it wasnt working when I went to put the plastic arm back on and secure it in place.???
Yes saltwater fish are very cool, but I'm starting to wish I went with a big ole planted tank and not FOWLR.

Params all tested good though. SG 1.024, pH 8.2, trates 0, ammonia 0, and temp 78.2.
Any ideas why the powerhead went bad on me?

Forgot about the one piece of good news I have regarding this tank. The coral banded molted again, and has both pincher claws back.

Params all tested good though. SG 1.024, pH 8.2, trates 0, ammonia 0, and temp 78.2.
Any ideas why the powerhead went bad on me?

Forgot about the one piece of good news I have regarding this tank. The coral banded molted again, and has both pincher claws back.

They're crappy Chinese knockoffs?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Overall, they work well but they are known to fail from time to time. And you have hair algae and saying it is an issue. What does it feed off of? Nitrates and phosphates are a big part of them.

They're crappy Chinese knockoffs?

And what would you recommend for a powerhead?

Overall, they work well but they are known to fail from time to time. And you have hair algae and saying it is an issue. What does it feed off of? Nitrates and phosphates are a big part of them.

Admitting I have hair algae is a problem? Not sure I follow. I have tested my tap for nitrates and phosphates, and they both came back at 0. Not understanding how I can have so much hair algae from 3 small fish and 2 shrimp. I'll test tank phosphates tomorrow, but if they are nit in my tap water where are the coming from? Used argonite sand and I mix with coralife salt.

a hair algae outbreak(h2o2 doesn't seem to kill this stuff��������!)

You won't get a reading on nitrates as the hair algae will be absorbing it and providing a false 0.
Did you do large water changes to bring the nitrates down to 0 after the cycle? I'd bet they are coming from there or phosphates leaching from the rock.

And what would you recommend for a powerhead?

Admitting I have hair algae is a problem? Not sure I follow. I have tested my tap for nitrates and phosphates, and they both came back at 0. Not understanding how I can have so much hair algae from 3 small fish and 2 shrimp. I'll test tank phosphates tomorrow, but if they are nit in my tap water where are the coming from? Used argonite sand and I mix with coralife salt.

Koralias while having no fancy features tend to last. You could get a koralia wave maker to create some different flow. The Jaebos are fine too, it's just something I've seen with them. My friend got one that wouldn't even work off the start. Sorry my comment came off a little snobbish lol. Just seems to me they tend not to last a long time. Which is odd cause the Chinese LEDs seem to have been perfected lol

Yea I drained as much of the water as I could after the cycle.

And you have hair algae and saying it is an issue.
I know I said i had the hair algae, but you made it seem like I shouldn't admit the fact that I have it.

If the phosphates are coming from the rock any idea how long it will last? Weeks, months, years?

Koralias while having no fancy features tend to last. You could get a koralia wave maker to create some different flow. The Jaebos are fine too, it's just something I've seen with them. My friend got one that wouldn't even work off the start. Sorry my comment came off a little snobbish lol. Just seems to me they tend not to last a long time. Which is odd cause the Chinese LEDs seem to have been perfected lol

Ok, what size koralia would you recommend?

Fishwrangler's 75gal FOWLR Build

IMO 2 1150s. Or try to get them to replace the jaebo. As far as the algae goes the ro will be a big step in the right direction. I'm also jumping in pretty late on the build so I'm sorry if I missed something

My rock was leaching phosphates for a good 4 months in my nano. I'm sure it just depends on how much rock you have in there.

What worked for me was doing massive water changes every 3-4 days around 30-35% change and would manually take out rock if it was really bad or I would scrape the rock inside the tank and try and siphon out the hair algae. I would also turn my vortech on high and scoop out the algae I missed with a net. Through a bag of chemi pure in and a couple months I'm golden. Also cut back feeding quite a bit.

I had the same issues with parameters. Trates and pho were reading 0 but I know it was impossible for the amount of algae I had.

Keep with it and I'm sure it will turn around!

My rock was leaching phosphates for a good 4 months in my nano. I'm sure it just depends on how much rock you have in there.

What worked for me was doing massive water changes every 3-4 days around 30-35% change and would manually take out rock if it was really bad or I would scrape the rock inside the tank and try and siphon out the hair algae. I would also turn my vortech on high and scoop out the algae I missed with a net. Through a bag of chemi pure in and a couple months I'm golden. Also cut back feeding quite a bit.

I had the same issues with parameters. Trates and pho were reading 0 but I know it was impossible for the amount of algae I had.

Keep with it and I'm sure it will turn around!

I want to say I have close to 70 pounds of rock now.

When I so my pwc this weekend I'll take out the rocks with the most hair algae on them, and give them a good scrape followed up by a h2o2 spray to kill anything left on them. To save any living creatures in the rock putting the rock in water with a salinity of 1.030 should work right?

Would a Pacific blue tang eat this algae? I know they eat algae, but read its only certain types of hair algae

Hopefully I can get a new powerhead this weekend. I'll have to look and see what kind my lfs has, or see if they can replace the broken one.

Hopefully the ro unit will be here tomorrow. 2 business days since I ordered was today, and tomorrow will make 5 days total.

I have several jeboa wave makers and dc pumps.
I think the problem with them is the "transformers/power switchers".
I had one dc pump stop running(dc 12,000) and when I changed its transformer it has run perfect since.
The trick is jeboa didn't sell or supply my replacement power switcher .
I searched and found them "aftermarket" since CURRENT leds burned me with their crappy power switchers and I have had practice!(still slightly bitter with current)!
I actually still like jeboa and use many of their dc pumps/wavemakers.

Victory!!!!! Got this pump working, not the mode I want, but still a wave mode

Victory!!!!! Got this pump working, not the mode I want, but still a wave mode

Did you throw it against the wall?? I had a watch stop once.. a nice older fella suggested throwing it against a wall.. it actually worked!! Granted it was a timex:) glad to hear you got it spinning again man!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Did you throw it against the wall?? I had a watch stop once.. a nice older fella suggested throwing it against a wall.. it actually worked!! Granted it was a timex:) glad to hear you got it spinning again man!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lol no not this time. Spun the impeller with my pinkie until it spun on its own. I think the problem is where the cover piece and impeller meet, the hole where the impeller sticks into is a little to snug

Back
Top Bottom