Flake Food Recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GEOlson

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was hoping someone might have a recommendation as to what flake food for tropicals that's got nice big flakes. I've got 9 silver dollars and some harlequin rasboras and neon tetras with a few other tank mates. I while back my brother had some flakes that were pink, super thin, but very large compared to many of the kinds I've tried. I think he said they were ThatFishPlace's brand flakes that were on clearance and aren't available anymore. I'm currently feeding the bulk flake food from my LFS because it does have larger sized flakes, but the problem with that is there are so many tiny crumbs that don't get eaten and then just cloud the water or get sucked up into the filter. It seems like most flakes are kind of on the smaller side, but does anyone know of large ones?

If you have food getting sucked up the filter, you are most likely overfeeding your tank.

I use these and every species I have gobbles them right down: Ken's Premium Cichlid Flake

I alternate with other foods, but that's the only flake food I feed.

Thank you for the response. I didn't see that tetramin had a large flake so I'm gonna give that a go and i'll report back with my thoughts.

You can crumble the flakes up to the fishs size of the there mouth thats what i do for my little neons.

Angelfish also has bulk flakes in all different varieties. I get food from both kensfish and angelsplus and I like them both. The flake sizes are huge in some packages, just depends on how much they've been packed or handled I guess.

The Large Flake TetraMin from my LFS that I got didn't seem too large to me, but I suppose it may be larger than "Normal" flakes from them. The texture was also very smooth compared to the bulk flake that rough, though I don't know what that would matter. Ithe TetraFin that I got for my goldfish didn't have "Large" but it seemed to be the same size flakes that the Large TetraMin. I was giving New Life Spectrum to the goldfish but I didn't actually see them eating it once it reached the bottom - my LFS only has pellets so I don't know if they have flake food for goldfish. I'm happier seeing my goldfish eat the pellets because I know that the Little Guy (We call him "Peanut") is getting food. I watched him get near the Spectrum but not actually pick any up, maybe too much water current when he's trying to stay still. Back to the topic, the bulk food that I get just comes in ziplock bags labeled by the LFS but only the middle of the bag is large flakes - mostly the red flakes (if there's a difference) otherwise the rest is usually small flakes and crumbs.

I use Pellets for large fish. Flakes may not give them enough food. I'll offer flakes as well, but for bigger fish , pellets are less mess.

Silver Dollars appreciate Veggies and Greens. Ours loved Zucchini and Romaine.

Back
Top Bottom