Flame angel & Coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone does anyone know which Coral are safe around Flame Angels? They said they are Reef SAFE, but also may eat coral with Caution? Is there a Particular coral that they like to eat or damage? Would they destroy any Soft Corals or LPS? I only ask cause I was looking to buy one and I have also seen them in many pictures posted on this site with coral in there Tanks? So I am just curious if I should just go ahead and Purchase this will be my last fish. 5 is my limit personally.

It's hit or miss. You may get 1 that has no interest in any coral, or 1 that feasts on it. They may eats zoas and nip at LPS and SPS.

Well I'll take a chance and see how it work I really love there color and Would loved to add one to my tank. I guess some fish are like a Box of Chocolates you never know whta your going to get..... :)

As Ccapt said, it is hit or miss. Coral polyps is part of their natural diet, but that can be curbed during the quarantine process. Most of the time, from what I have witnessed, Centropyge angels will nip at coral polyps without causing actual damage; however, they will begin consuming them if their food supply isn't adequate to their liking. Of course, those of Genicanthus are more planktivores which may be an option if the Flame angel does not work out.

Of course, those of Genicanthus are more planktivores which may be an option if the Flame angel does not work out.
Couldn't agree more. My lamarck angel is my favorite fish.

The flame angel did not work for me. It was OK for 4 years but then it almost wrecked my tank. Had to tear down the tank to get it. I`v taken the NO ANGELS pledge.

I`ve heard good things about the Lamarcks Angels Larry. I just went through a tough time with those two dwarfs that I had. I`ve never forgotten it LOL I used to have one of those swallowtails a long time ago.

I had a flame angel and I must admit: the beautiful colors can deceive you!!! I had one for about 6 months, until and earthquake shook my tank. My live rock was leaning against the back wall of my 30 gallon hex and the rock slid and crushed my flame angel. It was a punch in the stomach but I learned a great lesson: NEVER lean rock against the side of the tank. Good Luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom