Fleet Emema for Phosphates, Have Questions??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindaC

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was just down at CVS to pick up some Fleet Enema to use for phosphates, I'm in the process of buying ferts to start dosing my tank, but on the disposable Fleet Enema package, is doesn't say that it contains phoshates at all, only mineral water in some and sodium in another, is that what people are using? Is there a certain type of Fleet Enema that I should be looking for? And I thought this one was going to be the easiest!

Thanks!
Linda

Linda, you want to buy a Fleet enema, green box, 4.5oz. When looking at the green main side of the box, rotate the box one turn counterclockwise and you should see the Active Ingredients listed per 118ml dose...note that the bottle contains 133ml thus the discrepancy in the actually dose we recommend you need to use. Anyway, the active ingredients should read

• Monobasic Sodium Phosphate 19g
  • Disbasic Sodium Phosphate 7g

I found in using this stuff that it was easier to dilute the solution before use. I put 50ml (10tsp) in a 500ml bottle and filled the rest with water.
I use KNO3 (Potassium Nitrate) for my Nitrogen dry fertilizor. By diluting the Fleet enema as I described, I am able to use the same abount of each product (KNO3 and Diluted Fleet Enema) and get the proper 10 to 1 ratio.
For example, 1 tsp of KNO3 gives me 15ppm of Nitrogen, and 1 tsp of the Diluted Fleet Enema gives me 1.5ppm of Phosphate.

Many thanks, this is very helpful to me. I am still waiting for my dry ferts to arrive so I can begin a dosing regimen.

Linda

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom