Flesh eating disease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swimmingfins

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I posted recently about a Zebra dainio that appeared to have a whiteish/tanish spot on his side. I treated him with Jungle's All in one treatment and the discoloration went away. What was left was a huge wound. He didn't make it but a few days longer due to complications with the wound.

Fast Forward a few days. I cleaned out my medical tank (1 gallon) and was just enjoying my 5 gallon (yes I know it it a bit small) when I was Walmart looking at bits of aquarium stuff to change out what I have. I noticed a worker looking in the tanks and scooping out certian fish. To make a long story short we got to talking and I learned these fish were going to be disposed of because they were sickly. About 12 dollars and 30 minutes later, I had my medical tank out again and treated 3 female guppies and a Zebra Dainio. 5 days worth of treatment and I had the ick taken care of and they were looking much more lively. I put them all in my 5 gallon while I figured out who would adopt these guppies. Within 2 days I noticed that my new dainio was accepted by the other 2 dainios, but the guppies were being picked at unrelentlessly. For fear of them losing fins of being hurt, out came the medical tank again. I noticed on one of them a sort of wound on its back. I assumed this is from the Zebra Dainios. But its growing. No fuzz or coloration, no signs of parasites as far as I can tell but the wound IS getting bigger. And it is exposing flesh and moving deeper. Its almost like she has gangrene. But, she is the only fish I have to have this ailment. Nothing else is being bothered and chemicals are normal. I am treating the whole tank again with Jungles All in one treatment. Is this the right thing to do? should I euthanize the fish? I am sure that this wound must be painful to the fish. And it looks like she is going the way of my late Zebra Dainio. What is going on?

Last edited:
It sounds like a serious bacterial infection that is creating ulcers. Ulcers will continue to degrade & eat into the flesh unless the bacterial infection is treated. The product you are using is completely ineffective for your situation. You need aquarium salt (dose 1tablespoon per 5gal) & antibiotic. Petsmart carries Maracyn 2 (not regular maracyn)- you may need to do 2 courses of treatment. In addition, you should swab the spots 1x a day with hydrogen peroxide. Your water will need to be kept very healthy (change it once a day) or the meds will not be effective. Hope this helps!

Table salt isnt suitable because it contains iodine & anti-caking agents. Kosher salt, canning salts & some sea salts will be ok but you MUST check the ingredients- it should say sodium chloride (NaCl) and absolutely nothing else. I am sure you have a bottle of hydrogen peroxide in your medicine cabinet! Its somewhere to start!

Do you have a Petsmart anywhere near you? They carry Maracyn 2. If you want to purchase something online, try Amazon or American Aquarium Products for Kanaplex (kanamycin).

I fought something that sounds similar to what your going through. My African Cichlid's were getting open sores, ulcers and bleeding. There mouths were getting white and there body's looked like it was being eaten from the inside!

I lost 15 Cichlids to this disease I now know is called columnaris. It's horrible. What I did was lower my temp to 70-72 degrees and used kosher salt 2x's a day. Once in the morning and once at night. My plants didn't like it but I dosed the heck outta my tank with kosher salt. I forget how many tablespoons each dose was but I'd say on a 15 ounce cup it was probably a quarter full. I mixed it with water and put it in the tank in a high flow area. It took some time but after a few weeks and 15 fish I beat it. I have a whole thread on it. I'm not sure if columnaris just effects Africans but you may wanna look it up.

Oh I almost forgot. I also dosed a med from the LFS crazy expensive I had to do a double dose and NO water changes. I had to remove any and all carbon and just let the tank saturate with salt and meds. It worked though. The medication was Maracyn 2 and then when I consulted the company and a vet after the first round I went with Maracyn Plus. All those meds and the kosher salt everyday followed my the lower temps killed the bacteria. Everything is good now an I even ended up with two yellow labs holding.

It took ever ounce of myself not to give up! I was losing 3-4 fish a week!!

Heres a good read. And I hope it's not it.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Columnaris.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom