Floating mystery snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

troyd75826

Aquarium Advice Regular
My blue mystery snail just started floating after getting air trapped in his shell today. Usually when he crawls over an airstone, he just floats in the water for a few moments and then sinks back down. This evening he would not sink. There is a lot of current in my tank due to the the canister filter and powerhead. The snail could not attach himself to anything.

I took him out of the tank and put him in a small tupperware with the lid on loose. I only put enough water in the container to fully cover him with water but he could still touch the bottom when he comes out of his shell. I plan on putting him back in the tank when he no longer floats. Should I have left him in the tank anyway?

I gently turn my snail over a give them a little wiggle to help dislodge the air bubble. It eventually works. I also would hold him until he could get a good grip on the glass. Sometimes mine would dislodge it themselves once they got going, other times I'd have to do it all again when I found them floating again. Good luck, make sure he gets something to eat once in a while until the situation resolves :)

I gently turn my snail over a give them a little wiggle to help dislodge the air bubble. It eventually works. I also would hold him until he could get a good grip on the glass. Sometimes mine would dislodge it themselves once they got going, other times I'd have to do it all again when I found them floating again. Good luck, make sure he gets something to eat once in a while until the situation resolves :)

Is yours doing okay now venymae?

yes, I had two floaters that managed to get air in their shells when they were shipped to me. One was worse than the other. I would snag him off the surface, flip him over and give him a wiggle or gentle tap (under the water), then stick him on a slice of cucumber I had in the tank until he gripped on, that way he got a little to eat before he got tired and floated again, eventually (a few days) he stopped floating and is fine now. Another member told he about flipping them to get the bubble out, and I just figured the food couldn't hurt to keep them healthy in the mean time.

My mystery snails will float for a time, then slowly release the air themselves for a soft landing. I assumed it was a natural behaviour?

I'm not sure. Mine died because he constantly floated. I had plenty of plants for him to attach to as well

My mystery snails like to float! If they get air trapped turn them upside down and rotate them it usually helps the bubbles come out. Most of the time they usually release air themselves :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

yay, that's good to know! I never did see a bubble come out when I flipped them, but I figured it couldn't hurt :)

yay, that's good to know! I never did see a bubble come out when I flipped them, but I figured it couldn't hurt :)

My husband wondered what i was doing Lol he just turned around and asked me why do you want to make them dizzy :what:

My husband wondered what i was doing Lol he just turned around and asked me why do you want to make them dizzy :what:

Haha, well at least he's not telling you the house smells like a crawdad.:nono::lol:

Back
Top Bottom