Floating Plant Suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Water Wiggler

Aquarium Advice Regular
In my 10 gallon tank, I tried a couple of pieces of frogbit to give some future shy celestial pearl danios some cover and also to amuse my future shrimp. It was a failure. The frogbit either died because my tank is covered or because the surface is too rough due to my bubble breathing dragon. I think it's more because of the cover. I had the frogbit in a corner that was pretty calm.

What else can you suggest? I'm almost tempted to use duckweed...almost tempted. Is there anything else that I can try first?

I have a timer for my light. Currently, the light goes on at 4 p.m. and turns off at 12 a.m. I have a 15 watt
Aqueon Floramax Plant Growth Fluorescent Lamp. The only live plant I have is java moss on cholla wood. I don't have any fish in my tank. I'm waiting for my lfs to order them. I'm dosing my water with ammonia to keep the bacteria alive until I can get my fish.

Thanks for your help! :flowers:

Red root floater is nice. Salvinia is a bit smaller but easy to contend with. Duckweed isn't awful as long as you keep up with it.

Thanks! I just recently discovered red root floaters. They would look spectacular in my tank. You really think they can handle a fish tank cover and my bubbler? I would need to order them because none of my local fish stores sell floating plants, except for Duckweed. Can you recommend some reputable sites? Thanks so much! :)

Hello water.....
I suggest some fast growing stem plants like hornwort and anarchis, they can be easily grown with any old bulb from the hardware store. Your fish poo will provide them with all the nutrients theyll need. Keep your tank fresh by changing 50% of the water weekly with pure, treated tap..
Hope this helps.
B..
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
Unbelievable

:)

Please contact Jeta from post #2. Highly reputable.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Red root floater is nice. Salvinia is a bit smaller but easy to contend with. Duckweed isn't awful as long as you keep up with it.

Hello water.....
I suggest some fast growing stem plants like hornwort and anarchis, they can be easily grown with any old bulb from the hardware store. Your fish poo will provide them with all the nutrients theyll need. Keep your tank fresh by changing 50% of the water weekly with pure, treated tap..

Thanks! No fish poo, yet, but I'm working on it! Ha, ha! Hopefully, in a little over a week, I'll have my celestial pearl danios.

I've had experience with hornwort. When I went to my lfs, I asked for java moss. The guy who helped me was filling in for the owner while the owner was at the dentist. Neither of us had any experience with java moss, so he gave me what he thought was java moss. It was hornwort. Upon quarantining the hornwort, I realized that I really don't like the falling needles. You'll be happy to know that I now have legit java moss! Ha, ha! I have no experience with anarchis. I will research that. Thanks! (y)

I just received some Crystalwart from invert obsession today. It made a huge mess in my aquarium until it finally settled in the calm zone. I had to move my power head to Change the current a bit, but am looking forward to seeing the progress.

drink more beer

As much as I want them, I think I'm going to have to pass on any floating plants. I want to remain low tech. If I have floating plants, I will have to add fertilizer and such. I will be busy enough keeping my fish alive! Also, between my AquaClear 20 HOB filter in the back left corner and my bubbler in the front right corner, the surface is bouncing around in every corner. Sigh. I was so hoping this would work. I hope my future shy fish don't mind! This hobby is tough, sometimes. I find that there's always a "I can't have this because of this" scenario.

You could try an un-rooted submerged plant such as Anacharis or hornwort. Both are pretty undemanding and should offer decent cover.

Or go plastic. Most fake plants are buoyant and should work. Some are more realistic looking than others. I would go for something that resembles plants listed above.

You could try an un-rooted submerged plant such as Anacharis or hornwort. Both are pretty undemanding and should offer decent cover.

i am new to this forum, and may have missed something...but didnt you just give brookster a hard time for suggesting anarchis and hornwort, and then a few posts later suggest it yourself? did i miss something? maybe i misread it?

i am new to this forum, and may have missed something...but didnt you just give brookster a hard time for suggesting anarchis and hornwort, and then a few posts later suggest it yourself? did i miss something? maybe i misread it?

Hehehe.. one does not simply give me a hard time.. i was just spreading the gospel of the Lord of floating plants is all..

Or go plastic. Most fake plants are buoyant and should work. Some are more realistic looking than others. I would go for something that resembles plants listed above.

Hornwort sheds needles like a Christmas tree. I'm not a fan of that. Is Anacharis messy? I would love to have something real if possible. I found fake duckweed on Amazon. I really laughed at that!!

Hehehe.. one does not simply give me a hard time.. i was just spreading the gospel of the Lord of floating plants is all..

A true believer. The force is strong in that one.
Actually those plants are good choices in certain situations. Just not in EVERY situation.

A true believer. The force is strong in that one.
Actually those plants are good choices in certain situations. Just not in EVERY situation.

Yah, he's cool! I like my anarchis, in the one out of 4 tanks it's in;)

Hornwort sheds needles like a Christmas tree. I'm not a fan of that. Is Anacharis messy? I would love to have something real if possible. I found fake duckweed on Amazon. I really laughed at that!!

In the right conditions, hornwort should be fine. Else, like a Christmas tree in March. Anacharis will melt with Excel or Glutaraldehyde. Otherwise, an undemanding plant.
Fake duckweed? Like green confetti.

Yah, he's cool! I like my anarchis, in the one out of 4 tanks it's in;)

Oh, good! I think I'll try it. It looks like Petsmart sells it. It's a nice compromise. It floats, but it won't hate my bubble breathing dragon. It's real, so it will be good for the water quality. Best of all, it will provide shade and comfort for my future shy fish. I'm assuming my future shrimp will think it's fun stuff, too. I feel confident that I can keep this alive. Thanks! :)

Back
Top Bottom